"Add your phone number" locks me out of my account

VartA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the search.

I'm attempting to log in to my PayPal account through a desktop browser, but it's now asking me to "Add you phone number" with no apparent way to skip it.

I've never enabled mobile 2FA specifically because I do not have a phone number to give PayPal.

I've logged in plenty of times before (had this account for years) and it's never been an issue.

Changing my password will get me logged in, sort of. I can view my past Activity but if I try to change settings or use the "messaging" help the website breaks and I get logged out.

How am I supposed to log in?

I feel like I'm missing something because surely PayPal wouldn't just start locking people out of their accounts, right?

Thank you!

Edit: Here is an image of the prompt I can't get past

paypal.PNG

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VartA1 

You need to add a mobile phone number now for security reasons if you want to continue using your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

VartA1
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thank you for the reply!

I find that really difficult to believe simply due to how insane it would be. Would PayPal really completely lock people out of their accounts and away from their money because they do not own a phone? That doesn't seem like something any company providing access to a critical resource would do

I'll hold out for an answer but it looks like I'll need to call them and close my account

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VartA1 

If you don't believe me then check out the Paypal employee replies in these threads.

You need to scroll down to an employees post on this link.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Managing-Account/Phone-number-changed-can-t-log-in/m-p/2032677#M...

Then scroll past my post to a moderators post.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account-Archives/Please-help-me/m-p/2679147#M142782

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.