Why would someone change my account type to business?

paramorefreak25
Contributor
Contributor

I have never asked about changing my paypal to a business account. I've only ever used a personal account. So I'm very confused when I get an e-mail thanking me for changing my account type to a business account. Right after, I get an email saying the new business phone number has been accepted and added to my account. I immediately go and delete the phone number and change my password. I wish I had screenshot the phone number before I did though. I thought this was all that was changed but then I discovered they had also added a fake address to my addresses, as my business address. hth,hth,hth AL 12345. I tried deleting this address, after I screenshotted so I had it for evidence, only to find that when I go to edit my addresses, it's not there as an option to change or delete. The address is obviously fake, but I'm a little weary because it just so happens the 12345 zip code is actually a city near me. Like, less than an hour away. So I'm unsure if this is a scammer nearby? Or what they would gain from changing my account type? It almost feels like a sign from the universe to start a business, so I'm not sure if I immediately want to change it back to a normal paypal account. I guess I don't really understand the differences. But yeah, any insight would be very helpful. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Ramage21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had the same thing happen to me 4 July 2022. First I knew about it was I got an email to say my email address had been changed, and then my phone number. Then another that said "We've verified your identity and lifted any limitations on your account. You're back on track". Then welcome you have set up a business account. At no time did I received a code on my phone to tell me someone was trying to login and change details on my account. I manged to login as my old email address and phone were still there. I was able to remove them and change my password and remove my bank details although I could not close the account.

Someone had set up a plumbing, solar panel business in my name based in UK. I am in Australia. I can only imagine its a scam for people to send deposits to the business.

What worries me is how is this possible in the first place and especially without getting a text for the 2 step verification which I had previously set up.

I did call Pay pal and they lodged an case to be investigated. That came back this morning as yes there was unauthorised access, case closed. 

Not impressed.

Login to Me Too

paramorefreak25
Contributor
Contributor
This is so interesting because your time zone, when you posted this is EXACTLY in my time zone when this happened. Right around 3:09. It is definitely worrisome that it's so easy to go in and change someone's account type though.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hello @paramorefreak25 and @Ramage21

First of all, I would like to welcome both of you to the PayPal Community Forum! 

I understand what happened both of your accounts must be very concerning, I am sorry this happened. 

If there has been unauthorised activity on your account, it is important to report this. 

See: How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity? (paypal.com) 

For tips on keeping your account secure, see: How do I avoid unauthorized account access? (paypal.com)

If no unauthorised transactions were made but some profile settings were changed, please contact us to have this reported and investigated. 

To contact our Customer Service team, click 'Help' or 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal Webpage. 
You can also contact us via Facebook PM's or Twitter DM's. 
For Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal
For Twitter: @AskPayPal

Thank you! 

Rebecca 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.