What does "Get more details in your Paypal China account" mean?

mcm9110
New Community Member

I was recently looking to reprint a shipping label as my printer didnt print it, and saw a link that says, "Get more details in your Paypal China account" -- I have never seen this before and I dont have any accounts in China.china account.jpg

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

PS-Sales-Group
Contributor
Contributor

All of our US PayPal accounts are now showing Paypal China links. Did PayPal get hacked? We have removed the PayPal Payments feature from all of our websites out of an abundance of caution and as a security measure until PayPal has some answers as to what happened.

Login to Me Too

Carpen14
Contributor
Contributor

I just spoke with a Paypal rep and he tells me that this is a Paypal error, someone within Paypal did this and it's

not a hack, however he sounded very strange when questioned about the actual content of the link. This link

just appeared in my account today, not 3 days ago when he said it started showing up on other people's accounts.

I don't get the feeling they are being truthful.

Login to Me Too

BRTSUP
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same in my PayPal Business Account and don't recall it was there last time I used the interface. I immediately contacted the Support and you can find the discussion below. I have blurred out the names involved.  This doesn't feel like a trustworthy reply to me personally.

paypal.png

Login to Me Too

TempOcto2022
Contributor
Contributor

I received a similar reply - they said "it's just a bug, no need to worry." I've been a Paypal customer for years and I know what their bugs are like. 

Their explanation might make sense if it were the legit link but it's not.  I did a domain search for paypa.cn on Who.Is and that was even more concerning. It now shows as "unavailable." 

I also found this May 2022 article about an unpatched vulnerability

I find it abhorrent that PP is not being more transparent and proactive about this. When I first reached out, I had to first wait until "business hours" because unlike most merchants and entrepeneurs, Paypal staff apparently only work business hours. 

Then I had to wade through all the bot responses about how to secure my data and then when I finally get a person, she was pleasant but evasive. Now like other PP customers, I'm scouring the internet looking for answers. 

Login to Me Too

TempOcto2022
Contributor
Contributor

The domain tools site Mx toolbok still has some info

Also, if you use the browser inspect tool look into one of the pages with this stupid link, you will see it says 'Go Pay link' even though that is not a link to Go Pay.

it would be amazing if we could speak to a Paypal tech support person re this. Having said that, I'm not using it - just my other e-commerce solution - unless this is resolved but even then, the whole picture is concerning. 

Login to Me Too

pcgt02
Disturbing
Login to Me Too

DreamForge
Contributor
Contributor

Same... Looks like a gopay link.

My money is on a page hack. I called CSR and they cannot see it because they do not have access to the same 'activity' page we see, I was given a link to upload a screen shot but that link does not function. So I am posting it here.

[removed]

Login to Me Too

DreamForge
Contributor
Contributor

Carpen14
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is still on my Transaction page. Why is this taking so long to fix? I believe Paypal is lying about this.

I was told it was a mistake made by a Paypal tech, well why is it taking so long to fix?

Something is very wrong and they better hope no-one is financially hurt by this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@DreamForge, @TempOcto2022, @BRTSUP, @Carpen14, @websurferboy, and everyone,  

Hello everyone! Welcome to the PayPal Community and thanks for reaching out on this issue. After a bit of research, I've found this is a known issue and has already been escalated to the proper team for a resolution. I can say this link does direct to a PayPal webpage, but if you would still like information on Safeguarding Your Account, there's some great information under that title in this article: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

Also, it looks like this is scheduled to be fixed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there's not an exact date I can provide over this forum. However, keep an eye on your account history for any updates or feel free to reach out to our Support Teams for further assistance. 

Best wishes, all!

- Jon K

Oct 5 2022 edit: Thanks again @jess-stjames for pointing out my error in this post. I've provided an update on this concern in this post below.

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.