Unable to log into PayPal with Microsoft Authenticator code

gilespy
New Community Member

Hello community,

For several days now, I have been unable to log into my account using the Microsoft Authenticator code. I am constantly getting the message that something went wrong. I tried re-adding the PayPal account to the Authenticator, but that did not solve the problem.

Please help.

Thank you,

Gilespie

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

atraylen
New Community Member

It doesn't work. It worked for my initial set up.  Which is odd.  Where you open the MS Auth app, in my case on android, let the camera scan the set up QR code and then the Paypal Web page dialog asks for a confirmation code from your app.  This step initially worked.  However, every other subsequent attempt to connect, configure or use the Microsoft Authenticator app results in it not working.  I try to use the log in dialog and it says the codes are not correct or valid.  So I deleted the entry in the Microsoft Authenticator app and then removed the method from PayPal and tried to set it up again. It does not even let me progress pass the initial QR code scan screen it tells me every code generated is incorrect.  I am not going to try another MFA tool.  I use Microsoft Authenticator with 20 or so services. I have no issues with those other services.  In my opinion PayPal's implementation of MFA code generation is busted and does not work with the Microsoft Authenticator app.  My thought is that the mechanism PayPal has for creating the Authenticator application QR code is not compatible with the Microsoft Authenticator app.  Whether its some weird unintended math library issue, or some other strange issue its VERY ANNOYING. Almost makes me want to just not use PayPal anymore... i've been a PayPal user over 20 years. 

Login to Me Too

atraylen
New Community Member

Hmm curiosity got the better of me.  This is also broken with the google authenticator. Interestingly enough the codes generated by both tools are the same.  Which I suppose makes sense.  So this part of PayPal's service is just broken for me.  How stupid, how odd, and also, how off-putting.  If PayPal is meant to be trusted with money and their MFA login software doesn't work and its currently passing whatever internal software testing that they should (or maybe aren't) be doing then why should anyone trust any of the other stuff the organization does. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.