Sign in with sms

TriumphTwin
Contributor
Contributor

I use 2FA when signing in to my PayPal account & I'm very concerned that sms isn't secure as sms can be intercepted & is transparent to my mobile provider, they also store these sms's for a period of time.

I'd like to know is there a more secure way of signing in? You would think that PayPal would give there customers more secure options to choose such as an Authentication app.   

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Annie_02
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @TriumphTwin 

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post! If you've forgotten the password for your account here is how to reset it. If you are still unable to log in, please contact our PayPal customer service for assistance. 

For the security reasons PayPal has the option to send the one time code to the phone number registered on your account and once you confirm the same you will be able to login. I hope this is helpful! 

Login to Me Too

TriumphTwin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I,m having no problem signing in. The problem is about the signing in process with using an sms message  with code sent to a mobile phone. As I stated in my first message, sms isn't encrypted & can be intercepted in transit so, how can it be a safe way to sign in?

Wouldn't it be better to use a Authentication app or to use the app Signal as this app uses encryption? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_MariaI

Hello, @TriumphTwin!

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community! 

I understand your concern. However, the 2FA process is completely safe. If you would like to use a different alternative, please keep in mind that there are two ways to set up 2-step verification. You can also use an authenticator app (like Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator). Please click here to find more information about this and the steps to set it up. 

Regards.

María. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.