Nicknames for PayPal Personal Account?

OceanRelic
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Personal accounts have the option to change from a nickname to a legal name. Is this also an option in the other direction (i.e. change from a legal name to a nickname or pseudonym)? I've read in a few places this is apparently an option, but I'm not sure if that's the intention of the feature or some sort of bug.

Long story short, I'm trying to find ways to hide my legal name on PayPal receipts, and I've read there is supposed to be some sort of option for that on Personal accounts. I understand PayPal itself needs my legal name for the transactions, but I don't want strangers who I may pay or receive money from only one time to know my legal name just from the receipts.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@OceanRelic 

No you can't use a nickname on a personal account.

If you made an error and linked one then you can only change it if the nickname is an abbreviation of your real name eg Rich for Richard, if its totally unrelated to your legal name then you would not be able to change it and its unlikely you would be able to withdraw any funds and may get your account limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@OceanRelic 

No you can't use a nickname on a personal account.

If you made an error and linked one then you can only change it if the nickname is an abbreviation of your real name eg Rich for Richard, if its totally unrelated to your legal name then you would not be able to change it and its unlikely you would be able to withdraw any funds and may get your account limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

OceanRelic
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thank you for the response! I had a feeling that would be the case, but I figured it would be best to ask just to be sure.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.