Mobile number (Google Voice) not accepted, can't log in!

bob789
Contributor
Contributor

I had a landline many years ago, which I moved to a Google Voice number. Calls to and from that number totally work from my cel phone, and I am able to get texts to that number from the vast majority of sources, but PayPal would not recognize that number as valid for a text, even thought it totally is! I wanted to pay someone in the PayPal community, but was unable. Please advise.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bob789 

Use a ‘real’ (not virtual) phone line instead to use full sms features. GV not supported by PayPal. Performance spotty. You can get away with using GV number for contact only disabling the sms/automated calls options, then use push notifications via app for alerts.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

bob789
Contributor
Contributor

> Performance spotty.

Other than with PayPal, I've never had a problem getting a confirmation code sent to my GV number by many organizations. Texting has never been "spotty" for me, but it if it were for some people at some time, I ought to be able to take the risk of the confirmation code not making it through.

You can get away with using GV number for contact only disabling the sms/automated calls options, then use push notifications via app for alerts.

I don't follow. I am not finding a 'disable sms/automated calls option' in GV prefs. Not sure how push notifications play into this.

I asked in the GV forum, and the response I received supports what you wrote, that PayPal disallows GV numbers (but has a different spin on why).

I think it is understood, but I'm simply taking about being able to receive a text from PayPal that is simply a 5 or 6(?) digit number. Nothing fancy. Or is there more involved? (I can't tell because I can't get that far).

Anyway, I very much appreciate you input. thanks

"PayPal is correct.  They don't support the use of Google Voice phone numbers.  This is because Google Voice numbers are classified as land lines in the telecom system, and their SMS capability is spliced on via a third-party messaging gateway service provider.

Some companies in the financial industry sector view this as an increased risk of international financial fraud.

So, yes, use a real mobile phone number, or use an authenticator app on your phone.  Google Authenticator works with PayPal.

By the way, if you use 2FA with PayPal, you MUST also set up an alternate method to verify your signin.  If you have only one method, and that method becomes unavailable for some reason, you will never be able to get back into your account."
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.