Changing from mum’s first name?

phoebemonkey
Contributor
Contributor
Is there a way to change the first name on my PayPal account? I set it up with my mum’s name/card when I was 17, but I’m now 34 and it’s had only my card/bank account etc since I was 18. It’s a pain explaining to people it’s my account but my mum’s first name! I obviously don’t have any documentation for a “name change” because we’re different people… (and annoyingly I already have a business account on my other email address).
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@phoebemonkey 

The account belongs to your mother if it has her name on the account.

So your best bet is for you to remove your cards/bank accounts etc and close that account opening one in your own name.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@phoebemonkey 

The account belongs to your mother if it has her name on the account.

So your best bet is for you to remove your cards/bank accounts etc and close that account opening one in your own name.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

phoebemonkey
Contributor
Contributor
Ah, I was afraid of that. I’m assuming if I closed the account I wouldn’t be able to open a new one in my name with the same email address? If only I could have warned teenage me. Sigh.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@phoebemonkey 

If the account is fully CLOSED then yes you should be able to re-use the email address, Paypal states that, that is an option.

However I would allow 72 hours before opening a new one and clear your cache/history first.

I'm too old to remember teenage me 😀

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.