What does 'Pending Balance' mean?

Corey
Contributor
Contributor

On my main page it says I have so much available, but a lot more is in pending balance, I click on that, and it doesn't tell me what 'pending balance' means. Can someone explain to me what that means?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Solidus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm having the same problem to. I have a large pending balance. I sell on eBay, so paypal must confirm delivery and the buyer must leave positive feedback in order for the payment to be cleared or if the buyer leaves negative feedback i must wait 3 weeks for payment to be released. That really sucks! but my problem now is the buyer has left positive feedback, but the payment still hasn't cleared yet.

Login to Me Too

mothglitter

I really am on the verge of not selling on ebay anymore. 1. Someone can be a crappy buyer & lie about not receiving an item, not pay, etc., but they don't get negative feedback!  2. This pending balance crap; so we're supposed to ship something we haven't been paid for???  I think not. 

Looks like I have to contact my buyer & tell him/her that it won't ship til this payment clears.  Of course, I'll get negative feedback for it.  Ebay/Paypal punish the seller for doing nothing wrong Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

jeff
New Community Member

I am very upset about this. I can't ship until I get paid , so I can pay postoffice. In the mean time I am sure that paypal is making interest on our money and still wants to charge us fees and still hold up business. Big brother needs to leave us alone. I do not ship products or items with out payment. I do not want a paypal credit card or ebay card . I want it very simple . I don't need Hitler controling my behavior,   thankyou for reading , I hope Paypal does. I woulod not be surprised if I lose a big sale because of this probelm with paypal holding my money, I hope paypal returns my $34 . fee when we both lose money and time on this.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You must follow the guidelines here, ship the item and ensure you have a tracking number.  Once PayPal verifies the item has been delivered and/or the customer leaves positive feedback, they will release the funds.  You just have to have some patience.   We've been through this scenario several times now and have not had any issues.  This is PayPal and eBay's Policy to ensure that folks play the game according to the rules.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

todd
Contributor
Contributor

Yea .. Its all on the sellers back .. the seller takes ALL the risk .. and the Buyers are in complete control .. they want to make sure you as the seller are not going to rip off the buyer .. hey its mostly the buyer doing the ripping off.. You as the seller will be lucky to make a dime . between ebay fees , paypal fees , and customer false claims you will be lucky to make a dime .. so many sellers have left the process as they can afford to take that loss..  We use to do thousands of $ in sales .. now we cant afford to do business on ebay suing paypal .. to many false claims .. to many rip off artists ..to keep most of us around..  The scammers have moved into the buying business and use tactics aimed at ligit customers no the ripoffs are scamming the system using the false face as a lig buyer and getting everything for free..  its really quite sad

Login to Me Too

Target362
Contributor
Contributor

This is BULL. I ill not ship my products till the money clears.

Login to Me Too

mothglitter

Once again: absolute crap!  If a buyer pays minimum shipping costs, why in the world -and how is it in any way ethical- should the seller pay out of pocket to purchase tracking & all that???  Basically what you have here is "Buyers are angelic, sellers are evil!  Stop, you evil seller, who keep us in business by paying fees to sell on ebay & receive payments, shame on you for being so evil!"

Login to Me Too

katech725
New Community Member

These pending payments are crazy. I remember the good old days when a email from PayPal saying, "You've Got Money!" literally meant that you had money in your PayPal account to be used however you wanted. When I first got the "Pending Payment" message, it was right after I'd begun selling under a new eBay username, so I assumed my funds were being held because I was a "new" seller with little to no feedback, and the pending thing would eventually go away once I'd built up a solid seller reputation under the new ID. However, a number of transactions later and I still do not receive my money without waiting several weeks for it. Is this really something that happens to everyone, regardless of reputation or feedback??? And does the buyer really have control over when/if you receive that money? I thought that once a buyer sent the funds, only PayPal could control the release or cancellation of that payment.

Everyone thinks that buyers are the only ones who can get scammed on eBay. Not true at all; there are a lot of dishonest buyers out there, too. Where's the protection for sellers?? Like you guys have noted, there seems to be little or no seller support when a transaction goes bad. I don't mind waiting to get my money until the buyer receives their item... whatever. It's a buyer protection that ensures sellers actually send them what they paid for. However, waiting for a buyer to decide everything about the item is perfect and waiting for them to remember to leave feedback, or waiting weeks for PayPal to decide they're finished abusing your funds and actually give you your money is outrageous.

I recently miscalculated shipping costs for an item I sold so that the buyer was overcharged a few dollars, and I made a small refund to them for the overage. Because I made a courtesy REFUND to the buyer for shipping, their payment that had JUST been released was locked back up again and became inaccessible. I guess PayPal automatically assumed that any kind of refund meant something had gone wrong with the transaction, and snatched the payment back up. I was flabbergasted. eBay/PayPal really, truly needs to re-examine this procedure and try to understand how unfair it is to sellers.

Login to Me Too

robis311
New Community Member

my item has shipped, was tracked and shows that it has been delivered. The balance is still pending. What should I do now?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.