Is this a SCAM or am I covered under paypal?

mtsteel
New Community Member

I bid on a item and was outbid.  I then received a second chance notice from ebay to buy it.  When I clicked it, it said I lost the chance even though it was only 2 hours from the auction end.

I contacted the seller and this is his reply:

I'm Sorry sir, 
     I cant set seem to relist the item only for you. Seems that the 2nd chance option is not capable for relisting once again.

As soon as one of the 2nd chance offers sold, I immediately deleted everyone else that i gave that offer to. But then i found out that the one who had supposedly purchased it, wasn't really a legitimate customer. In fact, he was a man from Nigeria, PayPal doesn't do business with this country, and he tried to Scam me by telling me that he paid for the item. But, a PayPal representative told me that that was in fact a lie and to not complete this transaction with this person.

If you want i can send you a money request through Paypal. Paypal is a Legitimate business that will make the transaction secure. If you approve of this, I will then have to provide you with the Delivery Confirmation #, that you can use to Track down the package. Paypal will not release the money to me till you receive shipment and feedback is giving to me.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience sir, But i'm not trying to pay any additional fees for listing these items once again. So if your interested in doing the above mentioned, send me an email or give me a call at "
Now the question is am I covered under Paypal protection if I agree to this?
I am kinda leaning towards a possible scam the price involved is $490 dollars.
What do you all think?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

mtsteel
New Community Member

I just found the answer and while I am covered, it all depends on whether or not the buyer has the funds in his account to get it back.

10 bidders at $450 dollars, $4,500 account closed while waiting for item to arrive. Never get it and the buyers are out of their money.

I say scam and not going for it.

The Buyer Complaint Policy is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

Even though you may escalate an Item Not Received Dispute to a Claim, you are not guaranteed recovery. If the Claim is decided in your favor, your recovery is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller's Account.

LOL anyway, at least I found the answer and hope this helps someone else in a simliar situation.

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What the seller was also doing is against ebays policy's and would surely get his account limited then banned.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Generally, when someone goes out of their way to tell you that they're a legitimate business, they're not.

Legitimate businesses don't need to tell you that they're legitimate.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.