CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Millstone
Contributor
Contributor

Sellers Beware of the latest scam!!! 'Chargebacks', the buyer purchases your item, then files a chargeback against the credit card company. The money is then taken out of your pay-pal account, plus pay-pal fees and you have NO recourse!!! The buyer will come up with a lame excuse, item significantly not as described, not received, etc. Pay-pal (pretends) to be your support and will guide you thru all the steps. Trust me, I am very organized and provided ALL the documentation to prove my item was "AS DESCRIBED', but they found in favor of the credit card company, deducted the money from my pay-pal account, plus fees (for time involved). I have not received the merchandise from the buyer (part of the scam), AMEX has refunded her money and all in all I lost about $420. Pay-pal comment: Its all part of doing business, you have your profits and losses. You take chances when you accept credit cards. What they don't tell you is it is happening more and more. BEWARE!!!!! We will start to see a trend...

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

guitar4u
Contributor
Contributor

I am on my 3rd charge back this month. The word is out. You can **bleep** the sellers and paypal does NOTHING! Soon as I figure out another way, I am gone.

Login to Me Too

cowboycat
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new user to selling and using paypal for payment. Is there a way to do this so they can't charge back as described.

Login to Me Too

guitar4u
Contributor
Contributor

None. There is nothing you can do. I had a situation where the guy got the item, and didn't like it. He emailed me saying " I Don't like it". I didn't accept returns for that reason, so he filed a "didn't receive the item" chargeback. I sent paypal the emails he sent me and the still gave his money back..And the kept the item. Word is out. I'm gone as soon as my terminal arrives. I give paypal till the end of the year, then they are toast.

Login to Me Too

guitar4u
Contributor
Contributor

And I am a 9 year member. Not a newbie. I started selling in 2001. This is the worst I have ever seen.

Login to Me Too

cowboycat
Contributor
Contributor

Well I supose I need an alternitave way for payment. Thats sad. I will have to tell them money order only. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Millstone
Contributor
Contributor

@guitar4u wrote:

I am on my 3rd charge back this month. The word is out. You can **bleep** the sellers and paypal does NOTHING! Soon as I figure out another way, I am gone.

Hi All,

A chargeback is a consumer right. No matter how you accept credit card payments you could be liable for a chargeback.

PayPal does dispute chargebacks on your behalf, especially if we have proof that can be used in the dispute. For example, if a buyer claims significantly not as a described, a statement from the seller indicating that the item has not been returned may be used. Unless you are covered by the Seller Protection Policy, the decision rests with the issuing credit card company.

To learn more about your liability, please check the Seller Protection Policy in the PayPal User Agreement.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

isell4less2
Contributor
Contributor

I am right with you on this, Pay Pal is no friend of mine but I am stuck with them, I have gone with google on my other sites I wish I knew what the right move is everytime I take a pay pal payment on an expensive item all I can do I check the persons history but it only shows 90 days past, you will never get the same answer the same question with Pay Pal  when when you get them in a corner they blame ebay. 

Login to Me Too

leon123

Hello,New to this ,but I sold item on e-bay Oct.24,09 This buyer sent good feed-back then is aloud to file charge-back on the credit card after more than 90 days,pay pal put a hold on my money for 2 weeks said to investigate.Now they tell me this is out of there hands and rest with the card co.This item was over 350.00,buyer sells my item on e-bay in less than 1 week,made pay-pal aware of all this ,This item was insured so They know item wsa received.PLEASE HELP WHAT TO DO???

Login to Me Too

Millstone
Contributor
Contributor

hi, I have filed a claim with the better business bureau. It may or many not have any impact but after talking to other people the advise I received was if enough people file a dispute/claim for the same thing it starts to look bad  for paypal. Every seller has basically the same complaints, and we as sellers have absolutely no recourse. We have to turn to an outside source. BB has been great at follow through and I believe they are serious about checking into each claim filed.  Whether or not I am able to get a resolution in the end is yet to be seen but if enough of us pull together I am sure something will happen. Paypal does not like BB to be contacted either...it looks bad for them!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.