First time tracking a parcel & I think I may have messed up!

Lilli-an
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There

I used Paypals 'print postage label' service for the first time yesterday.  I had also hoped to use the tracking service too.  Being a bit unsure of getting it right I was a bit hesitant when clicking on this or that!  Particularly when choosing 'add tracking number' - as nothing seemed to happen!  However, halfway through printing the label I somehow or other was logged out of Paypal!  On logging back in I was relieved to see I could still print off the label and went ahead and did just that. 

My parcel is ready to post via Royal Mail - but I'm a bit dubious about having done it right!  There is no bar code as such on the label just one of those little 'mosaic type squares' - is that right?

Does the tracking number get added once I take my certificate of posting to the Post Office?  Or - have I totally missed out/messed up re this?

I know I sound really dumb - but I'm always the same when trying something new for the first time!  I don't trust myself to do it right!

I hope you can help me before I take my parcel to the PO this morning!  Any advice will be gratefuly received!

Thanks in advance

Lilli-an

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

foggymidlands
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - The tracking number is added at the PO.

Login to Me Too

Lilli-an
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, I am still puzzled, as I now have the certificate of posting from the PO, but there seems to be no tracking number on this?  A 6 digit 'Session ID' is the only number I can see. I think perhaps then, I have missed out a vital piece of input when setting up the postage label?

Is there a demo available perhaps on how to track a parcel without me actually printing off a new label which of course I now don't need as the parcel has been sent?

Many thanks for reading my query. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

foggymidlands
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler

Sorry can't help with that one. Would go back to PO and ask them to clarify. Ta CP

Login to Me Too

Lilli-an
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks anyway.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply.Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

If you have purchased a recorded delivery service through the PayPal website, you will need to receive a tracking number when you bring the item to your local post office. As far as I know, you need to ask them about it when you are bringing the item to the counter as if you don't, they might just assume the item is being posted using a standard delivery method.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds to me that you have not been provided with a tracking number when you brought the item to your post office. It sounds that they have just posted your item using a standard postage method.

If you wish, you can try contacting your post office in order to determine how they have posted your item and to see if they have a tracking number that they can provide to you in order to show where the item has been sent and delivered to.

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Lilli-an
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David - thank you for your reply.  Smiley Happy

Yes your information was most helpful and made things a bit clearer - thank you.

I think what has gone 'wrong' is I didn't purchase a recorded delivery service through Paypal.  Remember, it was my first time using Paypal postage and I got a bit confused as I was logged out halfway though my transactions!  I think I dithered and swithered too long as to what to do next!

Probably I have only purchased standard delivery and therefore the PO has only provided me with a certificate of posting.

Hopefully the next time I use Paypal I will have a better idea of what I am doing!  Meantime, that was really helpful information - Thanks again.

Lilli-an

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi again Lilli-an,

No problem at all. I realise it can be confusing if you are not sure of the procedure involved and if you have not used it before. At least you know now for future reference.

I'm glad I could help Smiley Happy. Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

David.

Login to Me Too

Lilli-an
Contributor
Contributor

Will do, and many thanks again to all for the help I have been given re this. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.