PAY PAL SCAM EMAIL (NEED URGENT HELP)

rohanathwal
Contributor
Contributor

Supposedly a buyer brought a pair of shoes I listed on ebay who lived in South Africa. The buyer claimed he sent the money and soon after I got an email from "service@intl . paypal.com" stating I would receive the funds once I sent them the tracking number and therefore I sent the shoes via Royal Mail from UK to South Africa and sent "service@intl . paypal.com" the tracking number on 09/01/18.

However today (10/01/18) I have been sent an email from "service@intl. paypal.com" stating my parcel is in South African Customers and they want 'x' amount of money for them to release it and dispatch it. The email also stated once I paid the x amount of money that I would get the buyers original payment for the shoes on top of the money I sent to South African Customs via Western Union transferred into my account.

I did my research and have now realised that service@intl . paypal.com is a scam email, however I have still sent my package over to South Africa via Royal Mail. Is there any chance I can cancel the delivery and get the shoes returned back to UK or is there any other alternative options?

P.S. I had to adjust the email adress slightly as it wouldnt let me post otherwise, the email adress began with sevice@

Thankyou for any responses in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rohanathwal

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Africa.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Paypal NEVER get involved in customs payments as those are the responsibility of the buyer.

You were well and truly scammed and nothing about this transaction was done using any part of Paypals site.
I suggest you try RM or SA post and see if they can recover your item for you.........unlikely but it has nothing to do with Paypal unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.