e.paypal.com - legit or am I in trouble?

voodoo
Contributor
Contributor
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 00:59:05 -0400

I received an e-mail regarding e-mail communication with PayPal, clicked on the button and logged on to what I believed was a secure PayPal site. Now, someone tells me I'm in trouble. Is this true? Is e.paypal a spoof?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello voodoo,

I can confirm that is a legitimate email sent from PayPal regarding our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy. 

Thanks!

Lilly

<<Edit date: October 19th, 2012

Hi everyone - there's no need to report this post for inappropriate content.  We appreciate your diligence, however, this information is correct.  Submitted reports on this post will be deleted.

Thanks!

PayPal_Adrian

end edit>>

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello voodoo,

I can confirm that is a legitimate email sent from PayPal regarding our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy. 

Thanks!

Lilly

<<Edit date: October 19th, 2012

Hi everyone - there's no need to report this post for inappropriate content.  We appreciate your diligence, however, this information is correct.  Submitted reports on this post will be deleted.

Thanks!

PayPal_Adrian

end edit>>

Login to Me Too

voodoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks you so much for your prompt response. Smiley Happy If you Google it, all kinds of warnings come up about it. I appreciate your help, but, it really has scared me!!!

Login to Me Too

mgtmagazine
New Community Member

I got this email also. It went to an email address that I don't really have associated with Paypal. I went to my paypal account - NOT through links in that email - and I saw nothing about the electronics communication policy being updated. It appears to be the same. If this email is a fake, it surely does look legit, but I'm alwasy suspicious of these things, so I did not log in through that email.

Login to Me Too

monsoon
New Community Member

OK, Lilly, when are you going to answer our concerns and give a more thorough answer?  Why the "e" in front of Paypal?  Why have such addresses only show up in email about my account financial info?  And I was told that nothing from a "paypal" sender could be trusted unless it had a little shield next to it.

This is not very good customer service, Lilly, on this very important issue.

@PayPal_Lilly wrote:

Hello voodoo,

Thanks!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

Beno_n_the_jets
Contributor
Contributor

If this a legitimate site Lilly, why is it not mentioned on the main PayPal pages??

Login to Me Too

zsteve
Contributor
Contributor

I forwarded the message I got from  "e.paypal.com"  to spoof@paypal.com

I just received a confirmation that it is a phishing/spoof attempt from someone other thanPaypal.

Can the moderator who replied to this post please validating the e.paypal.com site as being legit verify where they got their information from?

Anytime you're the least bit suspicious about an email you receive, DO NOT CLICK anywhere on the email.

Just clicking on a link in the the email sends a confirmation back to the scamster that you are a viable target.

ALWAYS go to the site via your own address bar by typing www.paypal.com or saving a bookmark with that address.

I hope this saves someone a lot of headaches.

Login to Me Too

Beno_n_the_jets
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve and thanks for the post... Is Lilly going to respond to your post or ignore both from me and you???

It makes a mockert of the system if the "moderator" can't either get it right or doesn't correct a wrong??

Login to Me Too

Cn737zw
Contributor
Contributor
I disagree! The email allegedly from PayPal sent out to thousands of customers was not from them. And the link to the fake page was blocked by google upon verification of the spoof. I was unfortunately a hapless victim who should have noticed the subtle difference, and probably would have had I not been on my iPhone and trying to just take care of the annoying requirement to verify electronic communications so my account would not be terminated. The terminated part should have been a clear indication. Why would PayPal be so harsh when I spend so much money buying and selling through the service? Anyway, do not open the email and if opened do not click on the link and forward your email directly to spoof@PayPal.com so they can get a count of how many customers have been affected. And let's hope that PayPal will get out in front of this thing and let the public know about this new threat.
Login to Me Too

Paypal and other on-line providers don't help matters much when they constantly use similar variations of

their own website for official purposes.  It is easily plausible to believe that www.e.paypal.com is legitimate, because companies like Paypal are always using these types of variations.  Keep it simple and easy....  Pick your web address and stick with it.   Then we won't be fooled by something like this.  This website is a perfect example:  https://www.paypal-community.com   How are we supposed to know when you create a similar and official website, or when a crook is doing the same?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.