Fake email from paypal

birddogbee
Contributor
Contributor
Beware: f your selling on craigs list or local area website fraud scams: Below is an example of one I received from supicious paypal. Seller said he paid thru paypal and this is the confirmation i received that he had paid

Dear (my email here)(which when scrolled over showed someone elses email at yahoo)
 Smith Paul just sent you money with PayPal.

Smith Paul is a Verified buyer. 
               Money Request Details    
    Subtotal          :$1200.00 USD
Shipping Cost:$  0.00 USD
Total                :$1200.00 USD
Transaction ID:8B174-130NG-7404-35H
Note                 :RING - $1200
 Transaction Confirmed   
**PLEASE NOTE**
The buyer of this item requested this item to be shipping to the following address below buyer shipping information.
Name : OSOBA ANSLEM SUNDAY
                 27 IRESHE ROAD,
                 IKORODU,
                 LAGOS STATE
                 NIGERIA

Confirmed  This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been " APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer care support for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.Below are the necessary information requested before we will send you URL/hyperlink  to click for you to receive  the money in your account completely. Send tracking number to paypal processing department at  and our customer online processing will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account within 48hours after shipping verification.You can also notify the buyer with the tracking number so your account can be credited within 24hrs of shipment verification.
                                               **PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified  and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL"  from PayPal informing you that the Money has been credited.
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

KLIR
Contributor
Contributor

If you have received an email from PayPal saying you received money or you've got paid, the first thing that you should do is to login into your PayPal account and take a look of the payments you have received on your Overview Page or on the History. Also, you will see it on your PayPal Balance, if the money is on HOLD until you ship the item, you will see it on your PayPal account as well, but in PENDING status. You will always see the money even it's in HOLD/PENDING or Available.

When you received any emails from PayPal saying somebody paid you, check it on your PayPal, if it's not there, it's a FAKE EMAIL or SCAM.

Always login to your PayPal by opening your browser and type paypal.com, do not click on the hyperlinks provided on the email, it may leads you to a fake PayPal website to steal your password. Always check your PayPal account before you take any further actions.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KLIR,

Thank you for your very thorough answers about fraudulent emails. Your information in both your posts in this thread is exactly correct, and outlines a lot of typical techniques that can be used to gain access to an account or to trick the recipient into sending funds via money order or Western Union.

Good job everyone, for being skeptical and researching the situation to protect yourself from fraud!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.