unauthorised transaction

dven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had an unauthorised payment for £97.00 made on my account 7 days ago. I contacted paypal as soon as I was aware of the unauthorised transaction and they immediately reversed the payment. This was done within 12 hours of the payment being made.

But, on checking my bank account this morning, I find that the payment has still been made putting me overdrawn.

Fortunately, I was able to cover the overdraft by transfering savings.

I understand the paypal process and that it takes 5-7 days for the transaction to complete before the payment can be given back, it just seems unfair that the victim of the fraud is put to such an inconvenience.

I'm not sure this is a question... Just a bit of a moan!!!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

yuume
New Community Member

I know exactly how you feel same thing happened to me this month 5 x £92 was taken from my account, Paypal have agreed that it was someone hacking my account but money is still not back in there, I think once it has been proved there must be a quicker way of returning funds after all I can transfer money any time of the day or night, we are not at fault why do we have to loose out ?

Login to Me Too

dven
Contributor
Contributor

10 days now and still no sign of my money being returned to my bank account. It's still on temporary hold. I must look up temporary in the dictionary... I think the meaning must have changed 🙂

I think i'm right is saying that banks refund any suspicious transactions immediately, before they start an investigation, so your account isn't affected. Are there no such measures that paypal could take similar to this?

The case you describe is much more serious than mine. That's a lot of money to be without. I would not have been able to cover that amount!

I feel I will have to close my account after this is resolved, as the risk is too great for big money fraud and the dispute process takes far too long.

Login to Me Too

tom121
New Community Member

Hi could you help me out I have just sold an item on ebay for £678. Straight after it ending I received the payment and I sent the item over. Then about 4 days after the auction ending it has come on my paypal that I am in negative balance and its an unauthorised transaction. Does this mean someone has hacked into her account, does it mean that she just decided to say that because she wants her money back, I don't know. All that I know is if somebody has hacked into her account why would she send me messages that she likes the item and leave me positive feedback. Plus if someone has committed fraud and its nothing to do with me why should paypal punish me. I am just an honest user trying to get by in life 😞

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should be ok as long as you fulfilled the criteria for seller protection eg sent trackable online, sent to the verified paypal address etc etc

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

prdkad29
Contributor
Contributor

With regards to the above,

I have recently been the " victim " of an unauthorisd tranaction,

My item on Ebay was bid on and won by the person concerned on the 03/04/12

I received notification from email from Paypal that the monies had been transfered

I posted the item on the 03/04/12

I received a Positive Feedback on the 04/04/12

yet I am told on the 10/04/12 that the Paypal did not think the cardholder had authorised it ?

And Today 20/04/12 I am told that Paypal have decided the Cardholder did not authorised payment and so they have take the money from my Paypal Account as of today 20/04/12

Question --- The Item that was posted would still appeaer to be with the Person who bid on the item and I now do not have any of the money

Who is the Victim???

Anyone out there who can suggest where do I go now ??

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

And welcome to the community.

Did you ship the item to the address in the transaction details with a tracking number? If so have a look to see if the transaction shows as eligible in the transaction details.

If it does then seller protection should have been in place for this once the information had been provided when requested.

Let us know how you get on with this. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.