RESOLVING A DISPUTE THAT EBAY WON'T HELP WITH

luketeacup
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an expensive record on eBay several weeks ago from a seller in the US. When it arrived, the sleeve was in poor shape, and certainly not as described. 

I therefore informed the seller that I was going to return it. He refused to pay for the return of the item,  despite the fact that these terms were missing from the description of the item, so I opened a case with eBay. When the seller then agreed to pay for the return, I therefore closed the case.

However, the seller refused to accept the item when it arrived back in the US, cooking up some story about it having been damaged by rain in transit. When the item came back to me, there was no sign of water damage whatsoever (I suspect he made it up), so I am still left with this record and its poor sleeve, and the seller has my money and is refusing to offer up a refund.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM - eBay has washed its hands of the matter, because I opened and closed a case (even though this case was to do with the seller not paying for return postage, a different matter).

So paypal won't help, as they say a case has been opened with eBay.

Any advice gratefully received, as I'm going round in circles on this one. Paypal is my final option now, and has helped in the past.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As this is an ebay dispute your best bet is to ask on the ebay boards as if it was a paypal dispute you would have had to pay return postage yourself anyway.

Your only option is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

luketeacup
Contributor
Contributor

debit card unfortunately. I'll try the eBay boards then. Thanks for the advice. D

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sometimes banks will do it via debit cards as a "goodwill gesture", it is certainly worth asking them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.