PAYPAL TAKING MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT

blackice11
New Community Member

Paypal have taken money from my account today, yes a Saturday, for a refund that I am disputing. Why when I have not agreed to/ disputed this refund to my ebay customer, have they gone ahead and taken the money ? NOTE ; I dont like the way ebay and paypal sellers are treated so anyone wishing to fall in favour of the buyer everytime may as well move to the next post. I am fuming and cannot feed my daughter today because of this. What IF ANYTHING can I do to get my money back TODAY ?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Did you call PayPal about this?

Ws there a case open against this payment? If so then the funds are placed on hold pending the outcome of the dispute. Once a decision has been made the funds will be moved accordingly.

Login to Me Too

Ramboryan
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_lucy wrote:

Hey there,

Did you call PayPal about this?

Ws there a case open against this payment? If so then the funds are placed on hold pending the outcome of the dispute. Once a decision has been made the funds will be moved accordingly.

I have also been victim of this `holding of funds' and I do not believe that even in a court of law this would be possible unless a judgement in law had been made. Paypal have no right to withhold money in this way because in essence it is stealing. Paypal is NOT an authorised bank! It is an intermediary merely handling customers transactions by virtue of the permission of the seller and buyer.  Permission should be obtained from the customer whatever transaction Paypal wish to make only on behalf the customer. Whether right or wrong the customer should have full access to any funds in his or her name.  After all they have more details about a customers accounts than do many other companies and we have to trust them, if they abuse that trust then they do not deserve to be in the positionof trust they are in currently

Another gripe is that Paypal and Ebay sit on the fence and quite often make irrational and biased decisions often in favour of the (Most profitable) dealer. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there Ramboryan,

I won't get into a debate that PayPal are correct in what they are doing as it's an open forum. Everybody is entitled to their opinion Smiley Happy

What I will do however is point out two things:

1. By signing up to our User Agreement, buyers and selelrs both give is permission to hold payments if we feel the need to.

"10.5 Payment Hold

...PayPal may in its sole discretion (acting reasonably) place a hold on that or any payment. If PayPal places a hold on funds in your Account, we will notify you about it (including, without limitation, how long the hold may last) - the funds will be held in your Reserve Account and those funds will be shown as “pending” in your PayPal Balance..."

2. As of 2007, we are now a bank Smiley Happy

Wayne

Login to Me Too

Ramboryan
Contributor
Contributor

The money that was in the account was not that in dispute but from another transaction.   A typical example of Paypals arbitrary actions can be gleaned from another incident.  I made a purchase from my credit (For protection) As is my custom I then transferred money from my current account into my credit card account so that my account was then clear.

Meanwhile as the deal fell through the seller refunded my money back into Paypal.  So I purchased the same item from another source and again refunded my credit card.   

My intention was to refund my current account with the refund, however I was both surprised an very annoyed that Paypal chose to send the refund directly to my Credit Card therefore in DEBIT with my current account!

Surely the refund should have been held at Paypal for ME to decide where it went?  You may call yourself a bank but my own bank would not take that action without my endorsement.  Any money in my account is my responsibility not yours.   I pay in or out and you take your charges as always, I do not pay you money for you to decide how I use it.  

Login to Me Too

janny640
Contributor
Contributor

strange comment from the moderator as ive just spoken to paypal about money disappearing from my account and when i asked if they were a bank i was told no - then again the woman couldnt even tell me who their regulating body was -stranger !

then asked where head office was based and after much deliberation and probably some help she said phillipines- after £5 in phone call costs we decided to give up and take legal action .

Still none the wiser where our money had gone  or why we couldnt access any full bankstatements ( a legal requirement of a REAL bank) or where transactions has simply disappeared too -maybe the accounts fairy took them ! lets face it -its as credible as paypal being a bank

Login to Me Too

rhapsody1963
Contributor
Contributor

i have just gone to my bank account on line and discovered that pay pal has taken money from my account that i cancalled twoo days ago, this has left me overdrawn. if/when i get this money refunded will they be paying my bank charges too, i cancelled due to an error in the e-mail address given to me from the seller.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there guys,

Ramboryan, I understand where you are coming from, however any payment made by a card that is refund will always go back to the card.

The funds will only be returned to your PayPal balance if the funds came directly from your bank account (not a debit card) or the PayPal balance.  

Rhapsody1963, when you send a payment and it is funded by your bank account it takes 2-3 days for the funds to leave your bank account.

So if you had made a purchase in the couple of days before cancelling your bank account, then the funds would not have left your bank account yet.

Bank fee are not something that PayPal cover. As we don't charge them we are unable to refund them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.