Buyer claims item did not work after 3 months

ABcat
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a radio on ebay, new in original packing, ( i had bought but decieded not to use) and it did work. 3 months later the buyer claims it is not as described and does not work. They had 14 days on ebay to return but claim it was only used a month ago, but was given to a family member, and it did work at first but then stopped working. I have had 16 emails on ebay from this person, all with slightly different stories, and wants a refund. I have no way of knowing what has happened to the radio in the last few months but as I sold it the warranty is not valid, which the buyer never checked. She has now opened a dispute and the payment is on hold, this seems very unfair as I have done everything correctly, and within the rules of ebay!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ABcat

Presumably she has opened a paypal dispute and not an Ebay one as she would be out of time for one of Ebays?

If so then if paypal decide in favour of the buyer then the buyer would have to return the item back to you first before you have to refund her.

She would also have to send it trackable at her own expense.

HOWEVER firstly paypal would have to find in her favour and presumably they have not done so yet so put in as much information in the dispute section of the claim as you can in your own favour before you or she escalates it to a claim. If neither do so then it would time out in your favour at 20 days.

Sometimes even if a buyer wins they don't want the hassle or cost of returning it so you may be lucky even if paypal does find in her favour.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ABcat
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal have found in her favour but she has to return item "in same condition" - if it is not what can I do? As soon as I sign for the item the money will be refunded to the buyer regardless of what condition it is in. As it was in perfect condition when sent and it is not now do I have any rights in this matter? It seems not!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi ABcat, 

Sorry to see that you have not yet received a response on this. If your buyer has been requested to return your item and you do not receive it in the same condition then you can appeal the case. Once you appeal it we can then look at all the details and make a decision. 

Thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

ABcat
Contributor
Contributor
I have received and it now just doesn't seem to work - no damage. I bought it from Amazon so am pursuing it via them to return to manufacturer ( who have previously said they can't help)
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi ABcat, thanks for the update. 

Good to hear that you have the option to pursue it that way. Hopefully it will be resolved for you soon. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.