PayPal case decided in my favor: Got the money back but no further instructions

nicolas9
Contributor
Contributor

I have won a PayPal case against a seller for an item that was not as described. When filing the case, I selected that I wanted to return the item for a (full) refund. The money has already been refunded to my account but I have not received any further instructions from PayPal (like, for example, please return the item to X and provide us with a tracking number etc.). After I got my money back, I received a message from the seller asking me to return the item to them so that they can confirm to PayPal that it has been returned. However, I have not received any kind of instructions/ information from PayPal on what I am now to do. When I go to the resolution center, there is no entry for the case.

I am right now wondering as to what I am supposed to do. If I did not do research on my own, I would not even know that I apparently HAVE TO ship the item WITH tracking in case the seller claims they have not received it back. So what is with that? I certainly do not wish to keep the item while also getting a full refund, but the lack of instructions makes me uncertain as to how I should proceed now. While doing some research I have also read that PayPal covers the shipping costs for returned items (for like four sales a year) but since I have not received an e-mail specifially asking me to return the item I am not even sure as to whether this "case" is eligible for this.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nicolas9

Sounds as though the seller voluntarily refunded BEFORE paypal made a decision on the claim and told you to return the item back to the seller.

So I would tell the seller that you will happily return her property when she has sent you the postage costs to do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nicolas9
Contributor
Contributor

First of all thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

As to whether the seller sent the refund by themselves I am not sure. The e-mail I got from PayPal explicitly states that they have decided the case in my favor and not that the seller "conceded". I have also read it again and the e-mail says "No further action is required by you at this time."; so far I have received no follow-up message, only from the seller.

If I ask the seller to send me the money required to have it shipped back to them in advance and they decline, is there any chance that they can open a case with me? Because I really do not want to pay 16 Euro out of my pocket for what is/ was not my mistake; however, I also don't want to "lose" the money again due to the seller filing a case.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nicolas9

Sellers can't open cases only buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nicolas9
Contributor
Contributor
So far the seller has not replied in any kind of way (and not sent any money to cover the shipping costs either). If they do not reply, what am I to do? Just dispose of the item and forget about it?

Also, thanks again for your help.
Login to Me Too

gbart1
Contributor
Contributor

No , no dispose the item . Ship the item back to the seller , you are not entitled to have both the refund and the item .

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gbart1

Legally the buyer can keep the item until the seller provides postage to return the item as it is no longer under a paypal dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

gbart1
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah sure . Morally is better I guess to have them both and peace of mind . When you go to brick and mortar store with a return you have to return the merchandise in its original condition before to be repaid . Online I see that you can use the merchandise , take the refund and ask even to be paid for shipping back that used merchandise . How moral ....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gbart1

Item received was not as described so why should the buyer be out money returning it back to the seller.

If you buy from an online company and the item was not as described then you could file in the small claims court against the seller and win.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

gbart1
Contributor
Contributor

Who said that is not as described ? The buyer ? If so he has to ship the item back to seller . This is the part of an online transaction . If you are too poor to ship the item back to a seller just do not purchase online . I am pretty sure that PayPal also ask the buyer to ship the item back . Otherwise having the item and the refund is at least immoral if not both immoral and illegal . As seller I am entitled too to bring this dishonest buyer in court for this reason .

If the item is grossly not as described may be you can bring the seller in small claim court and win . This process is free of any cost ?? I doubt .

But if the item is as described but the buyer just do not want it and claims that is not as described  you have to rely on a thirdy party decision . In this case PayPal . PayPal want the item returned to the seller . And this is correct . You have to pay to ship the item back to the seller . I guess that is a little bit costly to have our honour and peace of mind  intact , isn't it ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.