Sellers Beware-Pay Pal Ripped me off on eBay for $106.99 and let the customer keep the product!

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor

SELLERS BEWARE!! In the last 6 months I have been ripped off by eBay AND Pay Pal. The first was with a book. I sold a lady a First Edition book. She filed a claim saying I sold her a Book Club edition. She lied. eBay sided with her and gave her back her $75 as long as she shipped the item back. Only problem with that, is that she sent me back the wrong product. She kept my First Edition and her $75 and sent me back the book club edition. The second just happened tonight. I sold a guy a Toronto Blue Jays jersey back in November for $106.99. Brand new with tags. He got the item, left me positive feedback. 3 weeks later he files a claim with Pay Pal for a "item not as described" claims it was a fraudulent item. I contacted eBay, they said I had to contact Pay Pal. Pay Pal tells me to contact the buyer. I did so, except that the number he gave was a fax # and there are 2 names on the account-one name for eBay and one for Pay Pal. I filed a policy violation with eBay and they shut his account down. They also told me what to write to Pay Pal in an email, including the fake phone # and the fact that eBay had closed his account. Jump ahead 2 months(yes it took THAT long and they held up my $106.99 the whole time) Despite all the info I gave them and all the cooperation I provided, they refunded the **bleep** the full $106.99 and let him keep the jersey. In 6 months I have lost almost $200 and from what I am seeing here, it is an increasing trend. People are catching on that there is a nice fat loop-hole in the system and that you can steal from sellers and get away with it. It's like eBay and Pay Pal have given them permission to steal from us. Anyone have any idea what we sellers can do to protect ourselves? I know I cannot afford to stay in business if  this continues. Sales are low enough lately with the economy--add losses from theft and I am out of business very soon.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

JayT
Contributor
Contributor

I think that is a great idea.  Or maybe 60 Minutes.  And I think it is CNBC who runs some good programs and this might fit into one of their formats.  Or my husband says the State Attorney General is supposed to investigate unfair business practices.  But I think with a company this size, and international, you really need media exposure.  The policies are ridiculously ambiguous which should be illegal, if its not already.  I am seriously considering no longer selling internationally.  If you run into problem it is time consuming to resolve and always favors the buyer.  Anyone want to hear what is acceptable Proof of Delivery?  Guaranteed to make you laugh!!!

Login to Me Too

brendita

why not contact 20/20 and have them do a story on this, this happen to me too with an overseas buyer so i dont sell overseas anymore to hard to track the package. and i only sell my big items on craigs list now so i dont get **bleep**ed out of big money. makes me wonder if its someone who works at paypal getting are merchandise since they know the loop holes its all a conspiracy i hate to say but you never know.  things dont change till more people are aware of the situation

Login to Me Too

jjwest
New Community Member

Hi mate,i know you got a business to run but do yourself a favour dont sell out of your home country,as different countrys different rules sounds bad i know,but its just how it is,unfair.  jim England

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Of course, they did. That's the way ebay operates. You don't matter. The seller is worthless and the buyer means everything to them. I avoid selling on ebay as much as possible. It's like walking down a dark alley waving your wallet around. You pretty much have to trust that everyone around you is good because you have no protection or recourse if something is stolen. And you can't blame the alleyway (ebay), it was never meant to be trusted in the first place. And the reps know this, regardless of what they are asked to tell you. They know this company doesn't give a rats behind about anyone using it to sell merchandise. If you are a seller, you are a mattress. It's pointless to ask them for help because they are not here to help you. They are here to help buyers. It doesn't get any simpler. I avoid selling on ebay like the plague. Anything you sell can be stolen from you. It's not worth the risk and the loss of dignity. The sooner we realize this, the better.

Login to Me Too

mssweetie

Boy do I understand your anger and frustration with Paypal resolution department!! Recently I had a buyer from overseas claim after 6 weeks that they had not received the package that was sent out to them...they used the very last day possible to file a claim with Paypal and I received the dispute notice that I now owed the buyer back the money that they had paid for the record that they had purchased and shipping and my Paypal account was frozen for $40.00. I had the customs label verification that showed shipping and receipt all the way through to the post office where the package left the United States...We'll per Paypal this was not good enough as they stated after I spoke with numerous foreign speaking agents (sounded like I was speaking to India!) that I would have to show proof of delivery for them to believe that the package had indeed been sent...I called and then personally visited my Post Master at the office where the package was initially mailed and was told that you "cannot get delivery confirmation on a package mailed to a receipient outside of the U.S. without sending it World Class Express postage, and even then if the postal facility in that country does not scan the package it will still not show delivery status...Well armed with this information I once again contacted the resolution center...What a sham of a name for someone who has already decided against you before you could even state your case...the Paypal agent and then their supervisor of which I could hardly understand either one told me that unless I had a delivery confirmation that the buyer, even if they were scamming me automatically won the dispute and I was out the item I sold to them and the payment. So back to the Post Office and inquired about any form of delivery confirmation for packages mailed abroad??? Well they have a service called mailing certification that still only shows the package as being received by the Post office...**bleep** it is the same as having the Customs label information which tells the same exact thing but it costs another $1.00+ some change and it will still not statisfy what Paypal demands because once again it does not show proof of delivery!! It's a friggin' catch 22 with Paypal and the scammers as always being the winners and the poor sellers as always automatically being the bad guy therefore the loser! Give me a break Paypal...Stand up for the sellers who are supporting your company with the exorbent fees you already charge us when we receive payment from buyers!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.