Seller protection

mommy_tutu
New Community Member

I am SO, SO disappointed in Paypal's seller protection and resolution center. I am a SAHM and sell on ebay only occassionally.  I just had a buyer open a case against me claiming their item did not arrive.  I do not have my own scale and since USPS charges an additional .80 fee to buy delivery confirmation at the Post Office, I did not buy it... to keep my shipping costs lower.  I sent the item in a clearly marked, reinforced envelope which was never sent back to me as undeliverable.  I KNOW that the buyer received the item.  They did several suspicious things before filing the claim...they threatened negative feedback several times even though I encouraged filing a claim, they said they would accept a partial refund (who does that if you think you have been ripped off), AND their feedback on ebay is marked private which means they cannot sell and cannot be given negative feedback because buyers are protected.  I have no way of reading feedback comments to see if this has happened with this buyer before, which I think is HIGHLY likely.   I filed the postal receipt to paypal along with messages between buyer and seller so Paypal could see how strange some of the comments were from this buyer. NONE of it mattered... they automatically gave the buyer a full refund PLUS I had to pay an additional .63 fee for the refund.  I have been totally RIPPED OFF by this buyer and by Paypal!  I am so disappointed that it is so easy for a buyer to claim an item was undelivered.  I had no idea that you HAD to provide tracking to even be considered for seller protection.  You would think a postal receipt with city, state, zip and date  when it is the ONLY time you had sent something to that place would get you somewhere!!  Again,  so, so, disappointing.  I have no recourse and feel totally ripped off. The appeals process is non-existent if I cannot provide tracking.  Don't you think I would have included that if I could??  I guess I just have to pay for tracking each time I ship something and be more aware of all of the crazy fees paypal charges even when a refund is given!!  This has been a hard lesson learned. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

tbird71
Contributor
Contributor

This has been a hard lesson learned.

That about sums it up unfortunately

It's hit and miss here always

Login to Me Too

troy1967
Contributor
Contributor

Again, as I'm trying to get the word out, you do not have to accept a Paypal decision when it comes to your money, particularly if there is clear evidence that you've been wronged.

Paypal's business practices fall under the spectrum of the many state laws regulating commerce.  Their user agreements, and Ebay's also, are very likely not to hold up under scrutinity when challenged in small claims court.  Paypal may trumpet their decisions and policies as if they are the sole authority, but trust me, they are not. 

If you have sufficient documentation and can prepare a competent narrative regarding the facts of your situation, then take Paypal to small claims court. 

I am in a similiar situation that has the potential for things to play out like your situation did.  Trust me, I am more than prepared, if not eager, to take Paypal to small claims court here in Los Angeles. They'd better make the right decision where I am concerned, because I've studied all that I need to know about them, Ebay, their policies, and our state's laws. 

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT settle for flawed business practices that compromise you financially.  You don't have to.  That is why we have a small claims court system here in America.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.