Paypal reversed a payment from buyer without reason and no possibility to open a

Andelou
Contributor
Contributor

On the 27th a buyer bought an item from me. On the same day I received an email from PayPay asking if I wanted to accept the payment. I did and all seemed fine. Now, on 1st of July, PayPal reversed the payment with no reason. There is no dispute or message.

I tried to open up a dispute, but I can only choose two alternatives:

Item dispute: I did not receive an item I purchased or the item I received is significantly not as described.

Unauthorized transaction: I did not authorize a recent transaction.

Obviously the first is for buyers, not for sellers to use. In any case, I have tried to open up a dispute with either option, but PayPal is refusing to accept either of the transaction IDs (the original purchase or the reversal).

What do I do now? The buyer is an verified buyer. How can PayPal take money which was legally mine as the buyer entered a contract with me. Especially awful is that PayPay has not contacted me prior to the reversal.

At least in my Country, contracts are binding. PayPal needs to prove something was in breech of this contract to make a reversal.

It is not possible to phone them right now, as they are closed for the weekend too.

Anyone have any ideas what to do, and how, legally, PayPal can do this?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sondre
Contributor
Contributor

maybe your buyer reversed payment ? did you contact your buyer ?

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My best advice would be to:

1. Contact PayPal via phone (no e-mails) and ask them for any information on how and why this occurred.  If the customer service rep has a thick accent and is located in another country just ask to be transferred to a  U.S. call center so you can fully understand what they have on file.

2. After getting the basics try to contact the buyer simply asking if they knew about a problem and what you can both do to resolve the matter.  Please remember to be polite and courteous even though you may want to express frustration and anger.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal may have reversed the payment but you need to also consider the buyers bank or CC reversed it instead.  Not trying to point blame anywhere at this point but a bank, credit card issuer (merchant bank), PP, or the buyer could be why this occurred.  Just trying to emphasize how a calm phone call and e-mail can work best in your favor.

Hope this helps and do keep us updated if you have more questions.  This is a member supported board for the most part so take that into account if you feel the advice is not on spot with what you were searching for.  I have been in your shoes many of times and would rather wait to hear more details before I can offer any good advice.

Take Care

Login to Me Too

Anja

Could you please tell me the phone number of paypal customer service.I have searched a lot.But none of that works.Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

contact us > call us

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.