how to track down who added my bank account

dimmu1313
Contributor
Contributor

I have a 16 cent "paypal verify bank" charge in my bank account, and then a couple of days later a $100 charge and then a $500 charge, both listed simply as "Paypal" on my bank account. Clearly someone got ahold of my routing and account number, and it seems this should be a simple matter for Paypal to take care of. I did not add this bank account to my Paypal account, so can Paypal find out who added my bank account to their paypal account, reverse those charges to my bank, and go after that person?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @dimmu1313,

Thank you for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear you've experienced this unauthorized activity. In these situations, since this is not on your account, we recommend reaching out to your bank to report your information as lost / stolen and also report those transactions as unauthorized. Once we receive the unauthorized report from your bank through the proper channels, PayPal will take appropriate action on the account where the bank has been added. Had this been on your PayPal account, our Customer Support would be more than happy to file the transactions as unauthorized and continue investigating the issue from there. 

I hope your investigation with your bank goes well. 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @dimmu1313,

Thank you for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear you've experienced this unauthorized activity. In these situations, since this is not on your account, we recommend reaching out to your bank to report your information as lost / stolen and also report those transactions as unauthorized. Once we receive the unauthorized report from your bank through the proper channels, PayPal will take appropriate action on the account where the bank has been added. Had this been on your PayPal account, our Customer Support would be more than happy to file the transactions as unauthorized and continue investigating the issue from there. 

I hope your investigation with your bank goes well. 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.