Thousands ripped off on Black Friday due to paypals inferior security/anti fraud measures

F0l2saken
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal should be ashamed of themselves for how pathetic of a job they do with anti fraud.  

This holiday season Vietnamese hackers were able to make hundreds of fake black Friday sites like <removed>, and then take thousands if not hundreds of thousands in paypal money and run with it.  My wife thought she got some great black friday deals, because if the fraud encouraging paypal trusted seal that anyone can copy and paste on a website.   That's also how I know they are Vietnamese, my wife is Vietnamese, and she can identify the name.  I had to break her heart and tell her nope, paypal may have been around for a decade now, but they can't catch anyone committing fraud.    

Somehow these people were also able to manipulate google shopping, which is how my wife found the prices in the first place.   You search on google shopping and you find hundreds of these fake black Friday sites that proudly accept paypal, since it's so easy to setup a fake paypal account and rob people blind.   I can see why they use paypal, must be easy.   IT really shows you the value of an American college degree, between google and paypal, and all the college educated geniuses that work for them with a masters, a single man from Vietnam who never went to college can still destroy their security.   I would give paypal the benefit of the doubt if the email address wasn't blatantly obvious that it was a fake generated free email account.    Does paypal honestly have any anti fraud measures, or do they just talk a big game?   They can't detect someone using a VPN or proxy when setting up an account?     They can't tell that an email address that starts with <removed> is probably fraudulent? 

Paypal obviously doesn't care, according to trust pilot, this scam has been going on for months, reported to paypal hundreds of times, and they still sit on their behinds doing nothing. <removed>

I'll be closing my account with this insecure online financial platform.   If paypal allows someone to sign up with an email account that has <removed> in it, and allows them to take money with no verification at all, then paypal just isn't a site I trust with any of my financial information.  

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@F0l2saken 

If someone's gonna hack/scam, they're gonna hack/scam and the remedy is always on the trail, one step behind. How does one know how another is going to hack/scam to plug in the vulnerability. I'm no expert, but that's my question.

Stick to brands, names, merchants you know and you'll do fine. Anyone can slap a store together these days. Shopify anyone? Sadly, we are our last line of defense. Do research before buying. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Shastalee
New Community Member

One of the advantages of using PayPal used to be their security. I just almost bought an expensive item because I trusted the PayPal payment system and it was the top listing in Google Shopping, but I  stopped and looked it up because it was quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else.  There were scam warnings all over and people have been scammed out of their money with fake UPS tracking and PayPal hasn't been siding with the customers and hasn't taken their approval off that site. People started filing disputes with PayPal 14 days ago and PayPal is still accepting payments for them. Google is not so innocent in this either. If you have to research everything you buy online and figure out what is legit, all the smaller businesses will be the ones to suffer. People will only buy from big companies. Paypal and Google need to get it right.

Login to Me Too

abrooks555
New Community Member

I too have fallen victim to jerseyeasy. I am dismayed by the lack of commitment to Paypal customers to resolve our issues and refund our money. Paypal should have safeguards to protect clients from fraud. I will no longer use Paypal if my issue is not resolved with a full refund. Paypal Executives have to know clients have other options to pay for goods. The market is saturated with better service. I will also escalate this issue to all social media and news platforms to get this story out. Paypal do the right thing by your clients.

A. Brooks

Stone Mountain, Georgia

Login to Me Too

lsstanden1
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I was ripped of by Jersey easy I ordered a doll for my granddaughter said it was delivered on NoV 29 never received it this is terrible that PayPal does not check there post they even sent me UPS form that it was delivered this is terrible what people are doing
Login to Me Too

anros
Contributor
Contributor

I've got about 50 trades, been scammed a few times but always PayPal good & services. Every time I've escalated a dispute, I've won and got my money back. If I am selling, I always invoice. If I am buying, I ask the seller to invoice me. If they do not, I do not go through with the transaction.

Regards, onplanners

Login to Me Too

RAKULA
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the same experience and I have not received my package as at this moment.I contacted PayPal with all the detail,unfortunately to my shock they just wrote me back and said my case is dismissed because the seller provided them with a UPS tracking number. I wonder who this seller is because I have tried several times to reach this seller but in vain.Pay pal  sent me a UPS tracking number but I wonder if they even bothered to confirm whether this tracking number is valid. The receiver of the package is not me but a strange name but still Pay pal is not smelling a rat.I feel they know what is going on but they are not capable to do anything about it.I have learnt my lessons and will close pay pal immediately I am done paying their bill.I cannot trust them with my finances.

Login to Me Too

houston2409
New Community Member
I was ripped off Christmas . If PayPal would track the assigned numbers from UPS they would see that the packages did not have the persons name on it . They also don’t tell you if they actually got a hold of the company. They only see it says delivered .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.