Someone hacked my account?

XTL5000

Hello,

I found out a few hours ago that someone bought airline tickets using my paypal account.  I saw a email from Paypal that I was charge almost $900 for a flight I never booked.  They wiped out my Paypal balance plus took money from my checking account.  I immediatly called Paypal for help and they opened a ticket.  I have also changed my password + security questions. 

Does anyone know the success in getting money back?  How long does this take?  How could someone hack into my account?

Thanks,

Joe

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

Someone stole my money via paypal. I opened case, but PayPal closed my case, because there was no problem with the transaction. No resolution, I lost my money? Where is buyer protection? PayPal allowed third person to spend my money. Do not recommend.
Login to Me Too

Falennon
Someone hacked my account overnight using Firefox web browser; PayPal notified me of a suspicious log in. My passwords are incredibly long, random, and complicated—this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I keep no money in my PayPal account for this reason; in case someone tries to take it. Fortunately, my linked account is a federal credit union. They’re extremely secure, and I alerted them already as well about what happened. This really sucks for anyone experiencing it. If there is a defect in PayPals login system, then they need to address it—whether fixing it on the developing end, alerting subscribers/members that this is an ongoing issue, offering insurance/protection from these types of things, or (better yet) all three. Just emailing me that my account was accessed and to change the password if it wasn’t me is unacceptable. Passing the onus on to the user is not a solution. Of course maybe PayPal employees are the ones doing it, who knows.
Login to Me Too

tomtums
Contributor
Contributor

Some thief has plundered my bank account for £135 using paypal.

I logged in on paypal and there is no activity so they must have made some other paypal account.

I haven't even used paypal since May.

My bank told me I have to contact paypal but they are shut until 0800.

Now I have to sit here seething for 6 hours as I can't even make a resolution dispute as they didn't use my paypal account.

Login to Me Too

beardmotion
Contributor
Contributor
I got my paypal hacked some one stoll me 400€ from my banck acc becouse they are linked to paypal wtf how is this possible.. I havent recive any notification from any transaction has i normally recive when i do any purche . Im **bleep**ing worid with pay pal security how is this possible. I do not trust this any more after this 😕 I just want my money back.
Login to Me Too

Kanayamaharani
Contributor
Contributor

Kanayamaharani
Contributor
Contributor

ArTfReAk1
Contributor
Contributor

My account was hacked too, I discovered the problem and reported to the resolution centre immediately.  Reference Case ID PP-D-44458922  I was utterly shocked that their reply was that they were legit transactions.  And their reply was so swift, I seriously doubt if there were any investigations were done.  Have they checked the IP address that these transactions were done?  My default email was changed to an unknown gmail address, which I have since deleted.  My account was upgraded to Business with that new gmail address.  The business name up till now I cannot remove.  I have lost USD370 to subscriptions which I never made, and another USD19.90 music purchase which I don't know what **bleep** music was bought.  What kind of customer protection is this? I discovered and reported, and all they do is to do quick replies and close case?  I have never travelled outside my country for over a decade, yet these transactions are done in places where i never put my butt on.  Come on, PayPal, where is your due deligence?

Login to Me Too

rsnamille
Yesterday morning early am- I got two alerts from PayPal if suspicious activity that someone purchased a plain green tshirt for 301.00. I could not contact PayPal for 5 hours, when I did get through the lady reassured me all would be ok and they would deal with it and get my money back. After cleaning cards off my account I realized they added a gift card to my payments that they used 1.00 of, 250 from my PayPal balance, and 50.00 from my bank account. Within 2 HOURS PayPal emailed me there was no fraud or suspicious activity, that it was consistent with other purchases I had made! Yet they emailed and alerted me something was inconsistent and suspicious 7 hours before that! I called them back and the girl kept telling me I bought the tshirt for 301.00 and I could get my money back by claiming that I never received the item so PayPal changed my claim to take the 301.00 back from the retailer forcing them to return the money or reverse the charge. My thing is that I doubt it’s a real retailer a plain green tshirt for 301.00 I don’t think so! PayPal is moronic and not safe! They deny that hackers are possible, let them get away, and don’t care. As soon as this case closes if I get my money back or not, I and everyone in my family is off PayPal. They can not be trusted anymore! Look at all these complaints this is only a weeks worth and all have been denied! PayPal needs to be reported and stopped!
Login to Me Too

ArTfReAk1
Contributor
Contributor

Agree.  Same night posted my complaint, at 5am got an alert that whether i had authorised a USD900 purchase. Damn, 5am I am still in my sleep! This looked like neverending. Only managed to answer the alert almost 2 hours later to deny the transaction.  Logged in and found no trace of the transaction.  This is kinda weird.  Least the report could do is to show the attempt transaction and receive alert to deny or whatsoever.  There is no transparency of any sort.  I want to close the account cannot transfer the remaining balance to the bank, which was denied for dunnowhat.  I am now stucked, and without any help.  Paypal admin or mod, if you read this, reply please.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi ArTfReAk1, 

Thank you for contacting us via the PayPal Community Forum!

Your question is very account specific and we would be unable to tell you why this has happened over a public forum. I would suggest contacting us via Facebook - https://www facebook.com/PayPal/, Twitter - @AskPayPal., email or phone and we would be happy to advise.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.