Shopto.net Paypal Unauthorised Payment

bluedove19
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am seeking for some help here on this forum.

I am victim of this company Shopto.net fraud as a payment was made from my account under Entertainment category they say which I have no clue whatsoever . A payment of £30 from my account to shopto.net and now I have no where to go.  I have reported this issue to Paypal via resolution centr but been told they cannot see any unauthorised activity with this payment. How is this possible that my hard earned money is taken from my account and Paypal cannot do anything about it.

Is there anything further I can do to get my money back?

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

Lazypakman
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, Nice to see I'm not the only one going through this issue, on the 5th of Dec almost £6000 worth of unauthorised transactions were made to my account via shopto. I managed to get ahead of the problem by stopping the money coming out of my bank account, but PayPal have been absolutely useless, I must have discussed this with numerous agents of theirs to no avail, despite continued promises it was being looked into and will be resolved. Their online system has judged that these transactions were not made via 3rd party and have closed the case. Now since the money didn't physically come out of my account I'm not in loss, but my PayPal balance is now - £6000 with no apparent resolution in sight. I have contacted shopto who in line with other comments here are not being very helpful, telling me to sort it out with PayPal, who in turn are telling me to sort it out with shopto. Can PayPal send debt collectors after me because of this? I don't intend to pay the money back or comply until I feel like somebody is actively going to look into this. Any responses or advice would be appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cky1
Contributor
Contributor
This sounds like my scenario. I believe it is a timing issue. I opened the dispute claim as soon as I saw it occur (it was pending). Paypal closed the dispute saying they did not see evidence of fraud, and the email actually said they tried to contact me for additional info but they never did. I then put a stop pay on my account so funds would not be released. I opened a new dispute claim when I saw that it was no longer pending in paypal. I think that's the timing issue, the case was investigated before they had anything solid to look into. The next day, I saw that they tried to take the funds out of the account but the stop pay prevented it, leaving a negative balance in paypal. I believe the next day, the claim was finalized and they refunded my money and the negative balance resolved. But I did lose the stop pay fee ( I expected that) and the claim did not include the transaction fee so I am also out $3.05. I should open a new claim for that, I think it was just overlooked.
Login to Me Too

Lazypakman
Contributor
Contributor
OK so I managed to speak to shopto via their Facebook portal ( the only way possible right now to contact them). I provided all the transaction ids on the claims, after looking into it, whoever I was speaking to gave me this response (amongst many others) "we have provided the digital item purchased with those transactions, your paypal account has been hacked so you have to deal with them not us.. we do not dispute the transaction you have to dispute them ... we closed the account as we saw far too many transaction in short time and our system close the account until customer contact us.." The amount of contradictions throughout this conversation were unbelievable but I persisted, they are effectively saying their fraud team closed the account in Dec, if this is true they why did they still release the items to PayPal and why have PayPal not corresponded with them on this matter as they have clearly stated this was fraud and they made an attempt to stop it (true or not I don't know). Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Login to Me Too

mjgonzalez
New Community Member
Another victim here. I was charged close to $300 from ShopTo.net. Like everyone else, PayPal closed my case saying the charge was not unauthorized. I asked for documents that they review to determine that it is unauthorized and they aren’t proving anything. This has been a horrible experience and I am beyond disappointed with PayPal especially seeing how many people are having this exact issue. I will definitely be closing my account and at this point I think my only other option is to try to dispute the charge with my bank.
Login to Me Too

Melissakb
Contributor
Contributor
Your bank should refund you the money based on the transaction being fraudulent. I’m trying to close my PayPal account too. I had a line of credit with them and I’ll never use PayPal again!
Login to Me Too

Melissakb
Contributor
Contributor
I would contact your bank. My bank resolved the issue within 48 hours of calling the fraud department and I was refunded the money. Only complaint is the $300 transaction was pending with PayPal through my bank for about 3-4 days but once it showed completed and the money was deducted from my account, I was refunded my money by my bank. Also - if you still have PayPal go in and change your password and set up a 2-factor Authenticator where you will get a code sent to your phone or email before you can access your PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

KDR_
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.  This is my second or third time on hold with them. I guess I'll try calling my bank next if they give me the runaround again. 

Login to Me Too

KDR_
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the PayPal runaround.  My bank is taking care of it as I type this.  Call your bank and then close your PayPal account. 

Login to Me Too

Melissakb
Contributor
Contributor
I agree...PayPal customer service offered no help whatsoever. My bank had to handle the fraudulent transaction. If this happens to anyone else - call your bank. You would think PayPal would discontinue working with this Shopto.net place.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.