Photographic Identification request - locked out of my account

sammunday
New Community Member

I'm an irregular user of PayPal, I set an account up when I was 17 and sold a few things using it as the "middle-man" for transactions and has worked fine up until now. I sold a pair of shoes the other day and logged into my PayPal to withdraw the funds. upon which I was greeted with your account access is temporarily limited as I apparently didn't provide ID when creating it?- (why was able to make an account in the first place?)

so I provided id and got an email stating "We've reviewed the documents you submitted and determined that you were under 18 years old when you opened your PayPal account. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for a PayPal account. From now on, you can't send or receive money with this account.".....

I rang up and got told to provide a bank statement to enable me to withdraw money and then received "We've reviewed your PayPal account again, but we're still unable to make the money in your account balance available for withdrawal at this time. This is because we must allow sufficient time for buyer complaints, such as chargebacks, to be opened by customers who've sent you money in the past. These can take several months to be reported and resolved and because they can result in financial loss, we need to leave money in your balance to cover any such eventuality." 

how ridiculous!! firstly PayPal allowed me to set up my account when I was seventeen without a problem and I'm now at scrutiny for a transaction made using the account when I was 18 not 17. if age was ever a problem why didn't they require id for account setup? and secondly what does that second email even mean?? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sammunday wrote:

I'm an irregular user of PayPal, I set an account up when I was 17 and sold a few things using it as the "middle-man" for transactions and has worked fine up until now. I sold a pair of shoes the other day and logged into my PayPal to withdraw the funds. upon which I was greeted with your account access is temporarily limited as I apparently didn't provide ID when creating it?- (why was able to make an account in the first place?)

so I provided id and got an email stating "We've reviewed the documents you submitted and determined that you were under 18 years old when you opened your PayPal account. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for a PayPal account. From now on, you can't send or receive money with this account.".....

I rang up and got told to provide a bank statement to enable me to withdraw money and then received "We've reviewed your PayPal account again, but we're still unable to make the money in your account balance available for withdrawal at this time. This is because we must allow sufficient time for buyer complaints, such as chargebacks, to be opened by customers who've sent you money in the past. These can take several months to be reported and resolved and because they can result in financial loss, we need to leave money in your balance to cover any such eventuality." 

how ridiculous!! firstly PayPal allowed me to set up my account when I was seventeen without a problem and I'm now at scrutiny for a transaction made using the account when I was 18 not 17. if age was ever a problem why didn't they require id for account setup? and secondly what does that second email even mean?? 

I guess it's a thing where, its do it now, ask questions later. TBH, not sure why your account fell through the cracks. Perhaps they didn't write the algorithm to check accounts retroactive for age violations yet, who knows. Wait the 180 days, withdraw money. Wait a few months and sign up for a new account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.