Paypal denied my unauthorised transaction claim for a scam transaction

beebear77
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal denied my claim when I lodged a unauthorised transaction claim - there's a transaction on my account that when i googled the name it came up as a scam - I have no idea what the "item" is that I supposedly bought and I have nothing to find out - no emails saying I purchased anything. There's a shipping number but the link doesn't work. It was back on 3rd September so I don't know what this "item" is that I supposedly bought nor do I have it. But I now can't open any more claims on this transaction its absolute crap so much for Paypals so called "buyer protection"!!

Just got an email back from the "help desk" it wasn't even read by a person I got a robot reply. Load of bull.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

XavionForces
Contributor
Contributor

So just to follow up I received my money back thankfully.

Login to Me Too

bluedove19
Contributor
Contributor

Okay here I am again. It has been over a month now and going through multiple Paypal chats as phone calls are not available. Spoken to nearly two dozen advisers on chat and all putting this in seller favour. I asked for email used to pay for this shopping and been advised some sort of Playstation code was purchased from this seller. I have no playstation and never made an account on Shopto.net still they refusing this. Oddly when I raised this with paypal and they promised to raise this as "item not received" because my initial claim for "unauthorised payment" was unsuccessful - adviser at Paypal assured me that this will get the refund back-shopto.net send me an email to review item? how is this possible ?

This is definitely known by SHopto.net and PAypal as potential fraud but Paypal is not helping me at all. I have asked for escalation, review and even to speak to someone at Paypal they make wrong promises and never get back. Its my hard earned money and taken away by scammer and very sad Paypal didn't help me. I will keep raising this until someone hear and resolve this matter

Is there anything else I can do?

Please advise. 

Login to Me Too

Abcd16
Contributor
Contributor
It looks like none of the unauthorized payment claims were solved. I am currently facing the same situation. I just filed a dispute today around 3pm and saw the case was rejected with a note that no unauthorized payment was found and closed at 8pm. I couldn’t talk to a human to file the dispute. My mail messages were replied to open a dispute but it was not possible as the case was closed. I haven’t received any email communication about this unauthorized payment. Also the email communication was not received for an authorized payment which happened on the same day when the unauthorized payment happened. I signed up for recurring payment for the authorized payment and used to get email communication every month except this month when this unauthorized payment was happened. I don’t know how to get to a person in PayPal to talk about this issue.
Login to Me Too

bluedove19
Contributor
Contributor

@Abcd16 I totally understand your frustration. Its been over two months since I have been going in circles with Paypal where one adviser suggested one thing and other totally different. My claim was refused withing hours, I repeatedly waited for advisers on chat as they have phone lines stopped due to Covid19. They didn't listen to me and refused my claim after repeated attempts, there is no escalation and all I have been advised to do is log a complaint which I know the answer already. I am discussing this with my solicitor now to see what best I can do in this case. Its a simple case company shopto.net is a fraudlently let someone to use my account but paypal not helping at all.

Login to Me Too

Timoteo23
New Community Member

Same here any updates? is there customer protection I can call?

Login to Me Too

bluedove19
Contributor
Contributor

@Timoteo23 unfortunately nothing happened and I have exhausted all options. Tried my level best with Paypal. going through hours of chat waiting and wasting my time. You will be surprised nothing happened. I lost my hard earned money ...

Login to Me Too

Stevie_D
New Community Member

It's worrying to see so many stories of people having claims for unauthorised transactions denied without any apparent attempt to investigate them. My parents have just had a similar problem where someone has scammed them out of 125GBP and PayPal are refusing to accept that it wasn't them that authorised the payment even though they have not presented any evidence that my parents did authorise the transaction.

That has got me worried now, so I've locked down my account to use 2-factor authentication ... but before I get too comfortable with that, has anyone else who has been scammed in this way had 2-factor authentication enabled at the time they were scammed? I don't want to be relying on that as protection if it's as leaky as the rest of PayPal's security seems to be.

Login to Me Too

bluedove19
Contributor
Contributor

@Stevie_D I was not using 2F authentication and was away too so unsure how someone managed to get into my account and made purchases. I learned the hard way unfortunately now not keeping anything in paypal account.

Login to Me Too

SasaK1

This is very worrying, similar thing happened to me

I was informed at about midnight of 10/11 Dec of completed payment in the amount of 534,21 USD for an alleged order placed. One minute later, a case was allegedy opened and immediately closed two minutes later.  During this whole process, no information was available to me as to what I had "ordered" and who from!?
I requested investigation from PayPal since this was a clear case of fraud, but they just rejected it with no explanation. 
If anyone looks at the timeline of events, it is clear that this was fraud: 
- Alleged "purchase" took place on 11th Dec at 00:22 hrs. 
- My alleged "case" was opened one minute later at 00:23 hrs.
- Case was closed another 2 minutes later at 00:25 hrs.
THE ENTIRE PROCESS TOOK 3 MINUTES!!!
This would mean that I allegedly purchased something from God knows where...it was delivered to me, I was not satisfied with the item, opened a case, resolved the case, all within 3 MINUTES!!!!
In their opinion there is nothing suspicious about this???
Login to Me Too

I was denied mine as well, but my account was hacked by someone that had previously stalked me in the past. He managed to send himself money via a qr code which made it a merchant purchase and then called PayPal upon finding out itd be 72hours of a hold on the money($780!) He was offered the advice if the rep on the phone to refund the money to my account and have it sent friends and family and he did! And I filed a dispute as soon as I noticed the transaction. I changed all my passwords and provided proof I confronted him of stealing and violating my personal information and finances. I called texted and wrote on his Facebook wall, all of which I sent to paypal. You can clearly see how I was upset with him and the whole ordeal and immediately denied. I provided further proof because they tried saying jt wasn't from mh paypal cash card it was a different card on my account and I discredited that claim. I suffer from ptsd and severe anxiety and depression and im bi polar and I was having like a nervous breakdown and I told the rep that I felt like killing myself and she encouraged me! I hate we haven't been able to actually contact a person via phone or that we get passed off from rep to rep without alerting they're leaving. Im going to file a formal dispute with corporate as well as take whatevervlegal action my attorney deems proper for the situation of them providing the man who is committing fraud a personal attack, all the protection and enabling the actions to be made possible while never alerting me of the activity going on nor verification of whether I authorized the transaction as I've never sent or received money from this individual ever and to send, get a refund and send again within minutes and then I complain about the transaction being unauthorized and asking to file a fraud claim against him? This isn't ethical their practices and by allowing fraud to occur violates the company's legally bound obligation of gdpr.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.