PayPal now Demands Sensitive Information

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

so upon logging into my PayPal account tonight, since I use it very heavily to pay people for services, I find out that PayPal now demands a confirmation of information to confirm your identity (and retain usage of your account). I am incredibly nervous about doing so when you consider the information they are demanding from you, your SSN card and driver's license (a photo of both). is this a legitimate thing PayPal is demanding from all its users, and is it secure/safe enough to comply and give up such sensitive information just in hopes of not loosing my PayPal account? 

Thanks guys! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aylaaktan wrote:

Hey guys,

so upon logging into my PayPal account tonight, since I use it very heavily to pay people for services, I find out that PayPal now demands a confirmation of information to confirm your identity (and retain usage of your account). I am incredibly nervous about doing so when you consider the information they are demanding from you, your SSN card and driver's license (a photo of both). is this a legitimate thing PayPal is demanding from all its users, and is it secure/safe enough to comply and give up such sensitive information just in hopes of not loosing my PayPal account? 

Thanks guys! Smiley Happy

PayPal is a real financial instrument. Yes, it is legit that they are asking for this information. Read User Agreement. If you have an open case in your Resolution Center requesting this info, it is legit. You give your bank your SSN, photo id, etc when you open an account, same idea here. And there are regulatory laws that require the verification of who you are and if you are the rightful owner of the account. KYC (Know Your Customer), Anti-money laundering, Anti-terrorist funding laws, the Patriot Act, etc. If you feel uncomfortable in giving this information. Go to your account settings and click "Close Your Account". Other payment processors and online wallets will request and requiring this information to comply, eventually. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker, I guess the reason I found it so odd was because previously, having actively used this account for numerous years and having already "verified my identity", I found it odd that out of nowhere, they suddenly wanted information from me.

Login to Me Too

LowCountryGA
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are apparently asking for this info from everyone as "part of this update", and NO, it is not legitimate.  Many of us have used PayPal for years...17 in my case...and they absolutely know who we are w/out getting our Social Security #s.  In fact, SSNs were never intended to be business i.d. confirmation #s when they were developed by the feds.

This is the worst move I've seen by PayPal since I started using the service, and they proved that w/ the email.  It is nothing more than a phishing email of the sort that their own web page says "Reliable institutions" will never use!  I detailed this in response to another user asking the same question:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Anyone-else-being-asked-to-quot-Confirm-your-info-quo...

Complain to PayPal in every way possible about the ridiculousness of this change.  It has nothing to do with federal security acts.  It is just bad business.

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@LowCountryGA, I am glad to see I am not the only one extremely bothered by what seems to be unsubstantiated reasons for "needing" such sensitive information. I truly, very deep down, regret having submitted my driver's license photo and am in total anger at the scheme PayPal has created. 

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@LowCountryGA, also thank you for linking me to another use's post, it is good to see I am not the only one.

Login to Me Too

LowCountryGA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks kernowlass.  Helpful info.  However, doesn't change the fact that they a) sent a phishing email to get confirmation, and b) didn't reference the info you provided here.  All around a really poor implementation by PayPal.  And I still maintain that SSNs are NOT necessary nor were they ever intended for this type of i.d. confirmation.  

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@LowCountryGA I agree with you, I am extremely skeptical on how truly genuine and safe this sudden demand of information is. Whilst I understand the need to verify identity upon just creating an account, I have had and actively used my PayPal account for years after verifying my intently, so their claims of "needing" it seem baseless to me.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LowCountryGA

Certainly should not be sent in an email, should be in the resolution centre requesting i.d. be added, I would send any email requesting that info to spoof@paypal.com.

As for your SSN then of course up to you if you don't want to provide it but paypal do limit accounts that don't completely complete i.d. requirements.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.