PayPal does not protect you - Paypal Users BEWARE

joysofhealth
Contributor
Contributor

I have an Airbnb unit and decided to use a Paypal account for payments to me to insure security. What a mistake!

I was contacted by Paypal to verify my account, which I did by verifying 2 small deposits. After that, I had deposits to my account from Airbnb. However, there was a withdrawal on 9/18/2018 of $.30. Then there was a withdrawal of $7.28 in October. Then there was a withdrawal of $200 on 10/1 and 2 withdrawals of $200 on 10/9/2018. All were from Paypal with Paypal Id's. 

I notified my banking institution and they put some restrictions on the account and I contacted Paypal on 10/10/2018. I was told by the customer service rep. that all would be taken care of and my $600+ would be returned to my account within 24-48 hours. An investigation would take place but that I had nothing to worry about. All funds would be restored.

I watched my account daily and nothing happened. I called Paypal again on 10/12/2018. Although there were some notes on my account, there were no notes as to an investigation or the return of any funds. The representative started over. This was infuriating. Nothing was done. My account was still vulnerable to hackers. 

As I was speaking to the customer service rep. I noticed an update on my account of a deposit of $1.24 on 10/12/2018 as I was speaking to Patrick, employee # 47975. The hackers were "testing" my account 5 days after I had reported the fraud. 

Here's the kicker: Paypal rep. Patrick employee # 47975 told me that he couldn't find anyone using my bank account number to withdraw funds from my account from within Paypal. He said that it must be from by debit card. (I have verified through my bank that it was an ACH transaction and not an ATM transacation). It was someone who had my account information and Paypal had all of that information. Paypal (i.e. Patrick #47975) said that they saw no transactions from my account to anyone who has a paypal account. In other words, they either don't acknowledge it, or they are oblivious to fraud. Either one is horrific. Paypal is not interested in your security but only in the fees they collect. I am cancelling my account immediately after this posting, I will post on social media, and I will engage an attorney to find out how to proceed against paypal. 

Beware. Cancel your account ASAP.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

someone is using your account.

you should be able t o file UA unauthorized transaction in resolution center claiming it aint you who conducted these transactions.

always read about buyer and seller protection before you proceed 

Login to Me Too

joysofhealth
Contributor
Contributor

There was a confirmation of my account from PayPal. Thought it was for my account because I had not used the account for years and just started using it for Airbnb transactions. Paypal is denying responsibility and so I will file in small claims court against them.

Login to Me Too

joysofhealth
Contributor
Contributor

Have already done this and Paypal denied the claim. Will file in small claims.

Login to Me Too

joysofhealth
Contributor
Contributor

No one is using my account. They created a new account and were attached to my checking account for withdrawals. Filing in small claims court against paypal.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You have to make sure the PayPal request to verify your account is legitimately from PayPal to begin with.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

while signing up with Airbnb,you must have left some trails for the hackers to hack into your Paypal account,check your security measure on your phone and pc.

BTW,for seller protection on item not received,how do you plan to proof you have delivered your goods/services since you are just renting part of your home,does AIRBNB offer any guarantee? 

Login to Me Too

joysofhealth
Contributor
Contributor

They weren't using my paypal account. They created a new paypal account and attached it to my checking account. Filing in small claims against Paypal to get my money back. Beware.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@joysofhealth wrote:

They weren't using my paypal account. They created a new paypal account and attached it to my checking account. Filing in small claims against Paypal to get my money back. Beware.

so the hacker opened a Paypal account and linked your checking account to it/

and they are able to transfer fund from your checking account to their PAYPAL account?

is that correct?

-a bank account cannot be linked to 2 Paypal accounts.

-is your bank account a joint account ,say you and a family member?

-do you have a bank debit card which taps your checking account?

Does Uber have some agreement with Paypal so its members can accept Paypal payments for renting their room?

As Paypal seller protection requires seller to provide online tracking to get seller protection,renting property is not protected.  

Did you bank trace those Paypal withdrawal to find out where it comes from?

just because it is labeled Paypal DOES Not mean it comes from Paypal or a Paypal member,your bank should be able to verify where it comes from?

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

Patrick employee # 47975 told me that he couldn't find anyone using my bank account number to withdraw funds from my account from within Paypal. He said that it must be from by debit card. (I have verified through my bank that it was an ACH transaction and not an ATM transacation). It was someone who had my account information and Paypal had all of that information. Paypal (i.e. Patrick #47975) said that they saw no transactions from my account to anyone who has a paypal account. 

----------------------------------------------------

Assuming Patrick is correct ,this is coming from some one who is submitting transactions labelling paypal and paypal user ID.

Many of us have Paypal account and buy a lot using Paypal,crooks figure we may not notice if they slip a few charges/transactions  with Paypal/paypal ID and we just assume these are legit charges.for something we bought using Paypal/

Usually small amount ,no round number to make it look like purchases.

Your bank can tell you where it is coming from ,which bank submitted these transaction and which bank account did it credit once it collected the fund from your bank?

if it is not Paypal,then who owns that bank account? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.