PayPal Denied my refund request

RyanBoy
New Community Member

Just wanted to share my horrible experience with PayPal regarding their Buyer Protection sham.  

It was a week before Christmas and I found an advertisement on Instagram for a Remote Control car.  This was advertised as a High Quality $300 value car. The site had an all encompassing description including videos of the product. It was on sale for $92 for a short time. I was hesitant about it being legit but then I saw that payment by PayPal was an option and right below the "Pay by PayPal" button was "PayPal buyer Protection".  After seeing this I felt it would be fine to buy the Car and if it was not what I was lead to believe it is "PayPal" would recoop my money, just as Amazon has done many times for me and other people.     

Well I couldn't have been more wrong!!   When I received the car, it was a total piece of crap! No where near as described! I actually found the exact car they sent me on Amazon selling for $27.  Well I immediately contacted PayPal for a refund and a few days later they said I could get a refund after I return the Item to the sender....  Which I have no problem with.  I have done this a few times with Amazon by just taking the item to UPS and scanning the return label Amazon sent me and my account is instantly credited with the refund.

But PayPal says I need to pay for return shipping which in this case would be over $220 back to China. PayPal would not even ask the seller to pay for return shipping. Now im stuck with a $27 piece of garbage that I paid $96 for.   Yall can see where this goes from here I'm done with this Joke of a policy.  And as soon as my PayPal credit purchases are paid off I will be Deleting my PayPal account.  

And by the way.... PAYPAL IS STILL DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!! And I've seen many complaints of the same thing happening to many people since Christmas.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanBoy 

PayPal Buyer Protection is not a 100% guarantee, warranty or insurance, PayPal never claimed it was and so has its limitations.

As per the PBP terms, you are not entitled to return shipping costs within the dispute (because 1. PayPal cannot force seller to provide it and 2. PayPal cannot refund more than what you originally paid) and if you escalate for PayPal to step in and help and then rules in your favor for Significantly Not As Described claim, the way they resolve it is the item has to be returned with tracking as proof of delivery is required, if you cannot come to a resolution with the seller amongst yourselves. That's how PayPal resolves disputes. People assume, there are no terms and conditions because of the word, "protection".

PayPal does have a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Furthermore..."PayPal does not have any control over the products or services provided by sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, and PayPal cannot ensure that a buyer or a seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction or is authorized to do so.", so it's buyer beware of too good to be true deals. $300 item marked down to $90ish dollars is too good to be true.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#disclaimer-warranty

Because of this experience, now you know what to look for when discerning who to buy from, so all is not lost. Please research the product, merchant, site before buying. There is no excuse because the information is at our fingertips. Anyone can make a shop, sign up for PayPal, and buy an ad on social media.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.