No recourse for company charging me two subscriptions for the last year???

cm0n3y34
New Community Member

I set up a recurring payment but for some reason I had a second one added at some point when some payment failed just over a year ago. I look now and discover that I have been being charged by both the whole time. I cancelled both and tried reaching out to the company. I have not heard back in over a week so I reched out to paypal and disputed them for being unauthorized, since I only authorized one of the two identical (down to the subscription ID) recuring payments. I was denied as it "wasn't unauthorized" according to paypal. It's a bit annoying that something like this can even happen, but I get technical issues. What I dont get is that even after emailing paypal and the company no one wants to help so I am just out the money?? This doesnt give me much confidence in Paypal and at this point I dont trust them with my money, and am just looking for a way to get my money back. 

Has anyone else here experienced this and does anyone know what to do? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

mitshouston
Contributor
Contributor

That's just awful!  As long as it is clear that you were being double-billed, it should be a non issue and they should gladly refund you your money. This is happening a lot with electronic payments and it's as if you have no recourse.  Because they are not passing through your hands, it is difficult to identify these types of issues and they can easily occur.  Shame on both PayPal and the company involved for not making this right.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michelle

Hello @cm0n3y34,

Thank you for joining the PayPal Community, and I am so very sorry to hear all this occurred. PayPal would consider this situation a billing dispute since you authorized one of the reoccurring payments, but the issue is the merchant billed you twice. Because there has already been a claim opened an closed on it, you won't be able to open a billing dispute on the transactions, but a customer support agent can. 

I would encourage you to give us a call. To do this, please follow the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page, or you can also reach us on Facebook or at @AskPayPal on Twitter. 

I hope this helps and thank you.

Michelle

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.