BUYER TRIED TO SCAM ME! WILL I BE CHARGED?

YSC
Contributor
Contributor

I posted a selling for a camera on Kijiji and a buyer emailed me saying she was interested and told me to text her.

I texted her (she speaks with broken English) and she told me to do the transactions through PayPal. I opened up a personal PayPal account to deal with this (I have a business PayPal account but did not want to use it for this). I made a money request and sent it to her. She said she received it and said she will make the payment after shipping the item. I did not like the idea of that and suggested that I will show her proof of a shipping label I made to indicate that I am not lying to her and once I send it she will pay me.

I sent her the picture of the shipping label and she said I must have received an email from PayPal saying I got the payment, but I did not. I told her I looked on my PayPal account and did not see the money. She said the payment is pending and I must give PayPal the tracking number first before they can give me the money. I am not sure if thats how it works as I have not used a person PayPal account before and even if this policy is true I was expecting to see something like "Payment on hold from ____" but I did not see any of that. Under the "Recent Activity" where I sent the money request it says "Pending" and beside it "Request Sent". But yea I found things to be very fishy so I suspected this must be a scam. 

I cancelled the shipping label and texted her saying I'm not interested in selling anymore and I will cancel the transaction so the money will go back to her. She was very pushy and kept saying the money is deducted from her account and I am scamming her and she will report me to the FBI because the money is taken from her already. 

Will everything be fine if I just finish with cancelling the transaction, block her number and probably delete my PayPal account? Even if this was not a scammer and I cancel the transaction the buyer should receive their money back, correct?

I have read about how some sellers who got scammed had to pay, will this happen to me? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YSC 

There is no unauthorized transaction because you didn't see any in your account. The scam is to get you to ship your item and just disappear because they didn't pay you. Do you see any money for your camera in your PayPal account? You only saw your money request that is marked Pending, not Paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YSC 

That buyer is a total scam. PayPal accounts work the same whether it be a personal or business account. PayPal doesn't hide payments from you if someone really paid. It will be in your available or pending balance. PayPal do not ask you to submit a tracking number first in order for you to see your payment.

Login to Me Too

YSC
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

So nothing will happen if I just stop replying to them right? Im just worried about the whole issue of them doing something like reporting this an unauthorized transaction or what not and ultimately me having to pay.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YSC 

There is no unauthorized transaction because you didn't see any in your account. The scam is to get you to ship your item and just disappear because they didn't pay you. Do you see any money for your camera in your PayPal account? You only saw your money request that is marked Pending, not Paid.

Login to Me Too

YSC
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Thank you so much for helping!

Login to Me Too

YSC
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Thank you for the help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.