Incorrect name on sign up. Can't withdraw. Can't change name?

loganmdonnelly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

When I signed up to paypal I didn't use my correct name. I didn't think much of this and have used paypal to make payments with no issue.
I sold something on a facebook page the other day and have received the payment. When I went to withdraw the funds I saw it is not possible unless your name is correct. I went to change my name and uploaded the proof of id (drivers license) and address (bank statement). The next day I received an email stating my account is going to be closed.

I don't know what to do! I've tried uploading my identification again. I've tried to simply refund the buyer so that I can get him to pay the right account but this isn't possible as my account is now limited. I'd really appreciate any help with this as it's a substantial amount of money and I can't afford to wait 180 days.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@loganmdonnelly wrote:

Hi there,

When I signed up to paypal I didn't use my correct name. I didn't think much of this and have used paypal to make payments with no issue.
I sold something on a facebook page the other day and have received the payment. When I went to withdraw the funds I saw it is not possible unless your name is correct. I went to change my name and uploaded the proof of id (drivers license) and address (bank statement). The next day I received an email stating my account is going to be closed.

I don't know what to do! I've tried uploading my identification again. I've tried to simply refund the buyer so that I can get him to pay the right account but this isn't possible as my account is now limited. I'd really appreciate any help with this as it's a substantial amount of money and I can't afford to wait 180 days.

The money the buyer paid will eventually be disputed by them and they can get their money back that way. Anything remaining will be stuck there until 180 days (this amount of time is to allow for disputes/refunds to be resolved if any) PayPal will notify you to let you withdraw, even then you need to provide documentation matching the name on account. PayPal accounts are a real financial instrument. Incorrect or fake names cannot be used when opening an account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

loganmdonnelly
Contributor
Contributor

So I am not able to change my name from 'John <Removed>' to my correct name of 'Logan <Removed>'?

And even after the 180 days I will not be able to receive my $500 payment?

What can I do from here? Can I ask the buyer to request a refund and try it that way? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@loganmdonnelly

The only i.d that would work is proof that you legally own the name on your paypal account.

As you don't then your funds will stay locked and your account limited.

The buyer can get their money back by opening a dispute for non receipt of item etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.