Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

goodboykr
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Secure your account by changing your password. If your unauthorized claim is favored by PayPal, you will be refunded.

Login to Me Too

dezeh
New Community Member

I just notice as well I was charged $59.99, Just now. how is this even possible... 

Login to Me Too

D-C1
Contributor
Contributor
Had a unauthorised PayPal payment come out from Digital River Ireland for £34.99 on the 03rd April 2018. Have reported it.
Login to Me Too

MzJan
Contributor
Contributor
So I noticed the same charges and I came on to the page saw what it was and went BK to my Microsoft to see if I have a receipt a key code something ..well after a week of research I can't find anything so I've been scammed too I'm filing a report and contacting my bank to get my money back
Login to Me Too

Haioofah
Contributor
Contributor
There was unauthorized pay on my account 74 SAR from digital river ireland ??
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Haioofah

First check here.

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

and if nothing then click on the transaction and report it as unauthorised using the option on that details page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DreamingBird

last night, while I was in bed, I got an email from PayPal saying I'd paid $66 to Digital River Ireland, Ltd. for "DRI*AVG Technologies." I use AVG on the family computer, but have never given them my payment details as I only use the free demo version and do not have the money to purchase. I need this money for bills and medical appointments.
Is there any way to get this money back? I've turned off OneTouch (only used on my personal computer, but it's turned off anyway), I've changed my PayPal password, what else can I do? I don't want the paid version of AVG, I don't even want to use it at all now.

Please help.

Login to Me Too

Chewdy
Contributor
Contributor

I too was startled by a DigitalRiver charge of 27.15 on my Paypal acct. It wasnt a fraudulent charge - I had forgotten I had ordered Internet Download Manager 2 weeks earlier. It took that long to show up on my bank acct.

Login to Me Too

EricDarosa
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I noticed two unknown payments made from my Paypal account, both from a company called Digital River Ireland LTD. Both payments occurred on June 8th and 9th of 2018. I was suspicious of these payments as I never purchased anything from this company. I decided to research said payments and to my surprise I learned that this is an infamous scam and that COUNTLESS people have been charged unknowingly by Digital River Ireland LTD (as evident by the countless reviews on this website claiming Digital River helped themselves to peoples personal funds) <removed> I am requesting a refund for these payments. They were 100% NOT authorized by me and as such I have decided to remove my credit and debit information from Paypal out of fear of being scammed once more. My first dispute claim was denied because it "fell in line with my previous Paypal history" but this is absolutely not the case and I NEVER authorized these payments. For years I have purchased using Paypal under the assumption that I would be protected if I was ever scammed, but clearly that is not the case. If Paypal doesn't recover my stolen funds then I will be forced to terminate my account and get in contact with my bank so that they may issue a charge back and recover my stolen funds. This debacle has caused me to lose a lot of trust in Paypal, if this is truly how unsafe is then I don't think I want to continue using Paypal. 

What can I do to get my refund.

Login to Me Too

EricDarosa
Contributor
Contributor

Here are some of the reviews claiming this is a scam, 

"Have been defrauded. I contacted Barclays Fraud Team they put me on to Actionfraud.police.uk. They are scammers and attempt repetative payments against your bank account. I have never contacted them on Banks advice as they will ask for card details and internet passwords. AVOID AND REPORT."

"Strange enough Digital River sells NVIDIA official products in The Netherlands. I bought a card and paid for it. Some time later I received a defective card.
Despite many emails and phonically they refuse to replace or refund the card.

Have contacted my bank and the police to file a fraud rapport against them."

"Noticed an unrecognised transaction for £269.99 - it was from digital river. Have never heard of them / bought anything from them. Luckily I managed to cancel my bank card whilst the transaction was pending. Tried to contact digital river to discuss the transaction, but the phone number didn't work and the email was responded to by a generic automated response..."

These are just a few reviews, MANY MANY more exist. This is a scam and I want my money back. (All of these reviews are currently published on https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/digitalriver.com I am not making these up)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.