How to get PayPal to ban Chinese scammers

Rxakt2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys.  I recently submitted a dispute for a scam that was run through Facebook.  In so many words, it was a bait and switch scam where they show you one product, and then switch it out for garbage.  PayPal sided with the seller and wants me to ship the item back to China.  Seriously???  

Fine, they are siding with fraud, wonderful.  Why are they not blocking these scammers?  Why are they continuing to do business with them?

Is there anything I can do to by going through my bank?  Is there a way to request PayPal to block those fraudulent accounts?

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rxakt2000 

How to get PayPal to ban Chinese scammers? Good luck with that one.

PayPal is not going to let you keep money and the item as punishment to the seller. If the outcome of the PayPal dispute is not to your satisfaction, and you paid with a credit card, dispute via your credit card and forfeit the PayPal dispute. 1) Credit Card may not require you to return item. 2) Credit card chargebacks incur a chargeback fee to the seller by PayPal. 3) If you file credit card dispute as SNAD, the seller is not covered. 4) Be more vigilant when shopping online and do a web search on merchant/site/product/price before buying to determine if a listing is a scam or not. 5) Cannot roam the net freely and buy from just anyone anymore, too many of these sites; one closes and opens another, when's it going to stop? And these scamsters are international too. You also can't expect credit cards to babysit and clean up the mess all the time by you getting taken in by these sites. 6) You gonna have to start shopping smarter and avoid these sites, eventually and hopefully, they'll go away. 7) You shop these sites once, you shop them all so be observant. These sites have certain vibe and characteristics to them.  Don't shop just by price, shop by price amongst reputable retailers.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Rxakt2000
Contributor
Contributor

I don't want to keep the junk I received, I just don't want to spend any more money to get the situation resolved.  What PayPal basically said was that.. "We agree you were defrauded, but please spend more of your time, gas money, and money to ship the crap back to these criminals".  Ya, that makes sense!

How about PayPal puts the $$ on hold with the scammers, and requests them to provide a return label.  Also, put a strike against their account.  

I call bullsh$t on PayPal in this case.  Sounds like I will need to work with my credit card company, and unfortunately that will mark PayPal as the scammer as thats who pulled the $$.  

Login to Me Too

Jamesinho1
Contributor
Contributor
You have my sympathy. I ordered a laptop battery online, believing that it was a UK store in Portsmouth. (price was the same as elsewhere, but was “in stock”) , Like an idiot, I did it on my iPhone and as they accepted PayPal, I thought everything would be fine. Normally I would check trust pilot, but I am a member of PayPal since 2004 and never had a problem. It is for this very reason that I went ahead. It was only when I received the confirmation e- mail from PayPal, stating that I had made a payment to a gang of Charlatans in China, that the alarm bells started ringing. I went online that evening and checked them out- lo and behold- they are a Chinese scam site. This was March 20th, I received an e-mail on March 25th stating that it was in the post. I then went through the charade of waiting for my delivery. I opened the dispute with PayPal on April 12th as naturally it never arrived, I subsequently received an e-mail from the “store” in mangled English talking about Customs checks. As I ordered from the UK, why should there be customs checks? I escalated on April 16th. They then sent a tracking number showing that it was ready for shipping from China, bearing in mind that they had already said that it was shipped on March 25th. PayPal keep pushing out the date of resolution from April 20th, 25th, 30th and now the fifth of May. It is obvious that an envelope containing stickers will be sent to an address nearby- thus showing my battery has been delivered or instead I will receive a two euro set of head phones. The scam is that, I will then be required to send these back for my refund - tracked mail for 100 Euros. The scammers will reject delivery and say that I must have made an error with the address and that they never received it. I am a former Military Man- do not reinforce failure! It would be ludicrous to pay more money out in a clearly fraudulent transaction. I have been looking at PayPal’s reviews since this started and they are as horrendous as the scammers reviews- I was shocked when I read them. It is now six weeks since I ordered it- there was an advertised seven day delivery, it is blatant fraud and I now no longer trust PayPal to come good on this. I cannot believe that they are siding with these sites. The scammers would not use PayPal if the buyer protection worked, as there are so many in the same boat. It is clear that the protection does not work, as if it did, then every transaction would be refunded. Clearly this is not the case. I simply do not understand how this Chinese scam site, whom have defrauded dozens of PayPal users is still able to accept PayPal and moreover, continue to defraud PayPal’s users with impunity. Compounding the fraud by making the buyer lose even more money is in no way a fair or logical solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.