Claim denied

pete_hd1
Contributor
Contributor

Bought a mobile phone last September complete with sellers 2-year warranty. A few months on It developed a major fault. After three failed attempts to contact the seller, I passed this to PayPal who did then manage to get a response.  I was told that the seller had agreed to refund the original price but needed the phone to be returned. The phone was packaged, correctly addressed and sent fully tracked by Royal Mail. All tracking details and confirmation of delivery on 2 March from both Royal Mail and Hong Kong Post were uploaded and sent to PayPal when asked for. Following a long review, PayPal have just denied my claim saying, “we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise”. After following instructions to the letter, I can only assume that PayPal's upload system must have failed. I’ve looked into appealing the decision within closed cases, but this option doesn’t appear to be available. Is there anything else I can do please?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

BSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

Here we go, great case of the "paypal employee" not having a clue of what is actually going on. 

Many people here have already highlighted (like myself) that this option of "appeal the decision" is mysteriously vanishing, I have screenshots to support this so please do not try to suggest this is a browser issue. 

@pete_hd1  

Please please please please please, take this up with the financial ombudsman. I opened my case with them over the weekend online the form is simple and will take much less time than waiting on paypal.   If not you can goto your card issuer and try to issue a chargeback not sure what the process is on this though as I opted for going with the ombudsman service. 

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

I also have addresses and contact details for the CEO of Pay-pal for the UK. I am considering writing to him highlighting all the issues us as customers are facing and how their "protected service" is really not fit for purpose, not to mention all the misinformation thats being spread by the paypal employee's here in the community.        If you feel that this will be of help to you please check this out:

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10403&c=PayPal%20UK-Managing%20Director

Best of luck to you and hope that you get the outcome you deserve!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

BSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

@pete_hd1 

You are on a bumpy ride my friend, I am in a similar situation but going in the other direction. CZ to UK.

Firstly to get your dispute appealed you will have to sit in live chat, expect to do this for between 2-6hours. I sat in live chat yesterday from 1200gmt and didnt get answered till 1740.

When you do finally talk to someone you will most likely get your case re-opened and this indeed will be true.

But..... The outcome will be the same. 

3 times I have had my case appealed by a Customer Service rep and 3 times  its been denied, even if I send the proof from DHL, even If I show them the tracking. It doesnt matter Pay-pal's decision is final.

Id suggest you goto financial ombudsman like myself as pay-pal will not do anything to help you in this current climate.

Best of luck

Login to Me Too

unsurekitty
Contributor
Contributor

I am going through the same crap, fed ex wont send  me info that my tracking number is in error and not in my name. only Pay Pal can request that from them. been 5 months, so tired of the crap, but I cant threw away 59.97 either.

Login to Me Too

LinkedinM
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @pete_hd1 

Sorry you are having issues. Mistakes can happen but there is a escalation path to appeal these errors. I have the guide here for you Claim.

Once you appeal with the tracking you get get a rely a few days later.

I hope the above is of use

****If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. Thanks!****

Login to Me Too

pete_hd1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately, I've already been down the claim route you have advised and there's no 'appeal the outcome' option appearing on the case details page. Could I be missing something?

Login to Me Too

LinkedinM
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @pete_hd1 

Thats odd. If your on a normal browser and not the app then you should have no issue. At this stage you are probably best to try the live chat help function with customer care to escalate.

Sorry I couldn't assist more.

Login to Me Too

pete_hd1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi LinkedinM,

Thanks again for that, but having read BSTECH's earlier reply which describes a similar scenario, I'm really put-off even thinking about trying the live chat help function. I too have cast iron proof that every step of the process was followed to the letter but that doesn't seem to count for anything once the case has been closed. Sorry to sound negative, but I can't see there's much hope of getting my money back which in total was the best part of  £200.   

Login to Me Too
Solved

BSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

Here we go, great case of the "paypal employee" not having a clue of what is actually going on. 

Many people here have already highlighted (like myself) that this option of "appeal the decision" is mysteriously vanishing, I have screenshots to support this so please do not try to suggest this is a browser issue. 

@pete_hd1  

Please please please please please, take this up with the financial ombudsman. I opened my case with them over the weekend online the form is simple and will take much less time than waiting on paypal.   If not you can goto your card issuer and try to issue a chargeback not sure what the process is on this though as I opted for going with the ombudsman service. 

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

I also have addresses and contact details for the CEO of Pay-pal for the UK. I am considering writing to him highlighting all the issues us as customers are facing and how their "protected service" is really not fit for purpose, not to mention all the misinformation thats being spread by the paypal employee's here in the community.        If you feel that this will be of help to you please check this out:

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10403&c=PayPal%20UK-Managing%20Director

Best of luck to you and hope that you get the outcome you deserve!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.