VAT Receipt sent out to all buyers via PayPal?

andotherstories
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

People purchase subscriptions on our website via a PayPal button.

I want to give them a VAT receipt, as per UK law, and don't want to have to create each receipt individually.

Can PayPal do it?

I know PP creates invoices, but I think this would be inappropriate - people would think they are being asked for more money. (I believe the invoice creates the opportunity to pay in PP.)

Thanks for your tips!

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_david

Hi there Andotherstories,

Providing a breakdown to customer's when a payment receipt is sent to them is not something that we currently offer.

I realise what you mean but there is nothing that you can have linked on your website or PayPal that will show a breakdown of VAT on your buyers purchase.

The only way to do this is to send an invoice to the customer but as you advise yourself, some customers may think that they are paying twice for the one transaction.

David.

Login to Me Too

ShootExperience
New Community Member

Please can you answer the question furhter Paypal - is there a way to add our VAT number and business addresss to the email/payment confirmation that is sent to a customer

Login to Me Too

xjamesb
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. It is really annoying. You use PayPal to make things easier and then have to manually make an invoice for every transaction anyway.

This could be a deal breaker. Do you know if Google Checkout does this properly?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hi, if you wish to use PayPal to receive subscription payments, then I would advise that you create subscription buttons (this is assuming you have your own site).  I suggest that you review the “Merchant Services” option at the top of the Business account page for other buttons and coding.

Here’s how to create a ‘Subscribe’ button:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile.’
  3. Click ‘My Saved Buttons’ under ‘Selling Preferences.’ (Don’t see this step? Follow the alternative set of instructions below.)
  4. Click ‘Create new button’ under ‘Related Items.’
  5. Select ‘Subscriptions’ and enter your information.
  6. Click ‘Create Button.’
  7. Click ‘Select Code’ to select the HTML button code.
  8. Copy and Paste the HTML code in to your website’s HTML code.

Or

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Select ‘My selling tools’.
  4. In the ‘PayPal buttons’ section, click ‘Update’.
  5. Click ‘Create new button’ under ‘Related Items.’
  6. Select ‘Subscriptions’ and enter your information.
  7. Click ‘Create Button.’
  8. Click ‘Select Code’ to select the HTML button code.
  9. Copy and Paste the HTML code in to your HTML code.

We recommend you keep JavaScript enabled at all times.

Login to Me Too

xjamesb
Contributor
Contributor

This comment does not address the question asked and should be deleted.

Login to Me Too

DeltaSoftware

Hi

Was this question ever answered?

I have setup a paypal subscription button for our customers who pay £10 per week. This needs to be billed as "£10 + VAT" which = £12 and not as just £12.

i have tried setting the vat rate inside paypal - this isnt applied to a subscription payment (but is applied to buy it now buttons)

i have also tried using "tax" and "tax_rate" as per page 442 of https://cms.paypal.com/cms_content/US/en_US/files/developer/PP_WebsitePaymentsStandard_IntegrationGu...

any ideas, im sure 1000's of people and businesses must need to charge vat on subscriptions!

Login to Me Too

DUCCLondon
New Community Member

I find this question highly relevant and an issue/problem we are facing too. It would be great, if it was possible to add VAT information on to the PayPal receipt our clients get. Currently I have to add that as extra code to my website, however, it would reduce the admin for my small company, if it was possible to integrate my VAT number and details in the receipt PayPal are sending out anyway. Any tips or improvements to PayPal that could make life that wee bit easier would be well received.

kind regards, Gunnar

Login to Me Too

miles_from_here
Contributor
Contributor

Why doesn't PayPal offer a simple way for a merchant to add a VAT number to their details and for these details to appear on every email to their customers. I am sure that PayPal makes money by trading in the UK and should offer a better solution to the thousands of merchants trading here.

It is a business after all

Login to Me Too

FieldStar
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if there's been any movement on this?

I've noticed that when a customer makes a single purchase (as opposed to a subscription purchase) the email I receive as the seller is laid out like a VAT receipt (and I assume the customer receives something similar). However, when the payment is part of a subscription, the email is very poorly laid out and contains no VAT information.

Surely this must be in PayPal's list of things to change. We've recently started offering monthly subscriptions for our clients as oan alternative to one-off payments, but the manual workload required to produce manual VAT receipts is ridiculous and my customers see the fact they have to ask for one each time as poor customer service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.