BILL ME LATER is a scam, impossibe to cancel

Tin

I am furious about the deceptive sceens which falsely lead the paypal user in to the Bill Me Later business.  Further, it is impossibel to determine how to cancel the connection with Bill Me Later.

Login to Me Too
132 REPLIES 132

JORDASH
Contributor
Contributor

I've always been, as many others complimentary of (BML).  Saying that I believed the complaints were legit.   But some may have been negligent.   Saying (I BELIEVE (BML) is a little :"SNEAKY & TRICKY".   By not "DIVULGING" charges plainly & clearly!    Promising ELECTRONIC STATEMENTS then not transmitting or not divulging DUE PAYMENT, in the E-mail.   My poaition was, it may be usery, but if one is VIGALENT, & OBSERVANT, you may be able to (USE THEM), (BML).

I purchse the B&Decker line trimmer on (EBAY) $248.99.   Paid with (BML).  3  days after del due date, I E-Mailes TOOL WORKS informing them, I had not received it.  They responded (IT"S ON IT"S WAY).   Didn't quite know what that meant!  They hadn't already mailed it!   Probably because of my (BML) payment.  Law suits, & confusions!

So I recieved the Trimmer.    Paid (BML) $48.99 the next day, instantly, through my connected bank account!   20 days later I learned because of an E-mail from this board.  Not (BML), this E-mail made me remember to check my (BML) acct.   There was a $35.00 minimum paymeny due in 6 days!  I was about to be charged a $25.00 LATE FEE.   I paid $50.00 instantly online.  Then I set up my online payment to pay $100.00 5 days later, on that DUE DATE.   And the remaining $100.00 the following 2 months billing cycles.

Before the 2nd billing cycle and before the second payment was due, I noticed a $2.00 charge,    (PURCHASES FEES & ADJUSTMENTS.   So after rereading the TERMS & calling them I learned that on basic purchases???   (IF NOT PAID IN FULL IN 25 DAYS, there is a ($2.00) dollar charge.   I believe most people don't know that!

NOT SO BAD but if I had't  accidentally caught it before next due date, ("BANG" $25.00 DOLLARS LATE FEE for $2.00".

(I PAID ALL OF IT OFF" INSTANTLY)!

BASIC PURCHASES I suppose is any purchase that was not a "Special promotion Sales"!

They are sneaky!   Might bring down EBAY!

Login to Me Too

jinjinjin
New Community Member

I **bleep**ing hate BML. Who had any idea that they would be performing a hard inquiry on your credit. Such a useless program that they trick you into joining.

Login to Me Too

janetr66
Contributor
Contributor

Contact Us is their so called customer service number where you can cancel. Ignore the prompts and keep saying "representative" to get a person. Call and complain about their deceptive advertising and tell PAYPAL and EBAY the same thing.  I joined to get the discount figuring to pay the first bill by paypal and get out.  Can't happen!! You MUST pay by checking or savings account and they ask for your bank LOG IN and PASSWORD to boot. No way am I doing that. I finally sent a check. Never again!

Login to Me Too

BijouCinger
New Community Member

I have never received a bill from Bill Me Later and I am very careful about what I buy through Paypal but somehow I owe them over $60 and now I am a day late in paying the minimum. Having been burned by them before, I was so careful but still they got me.  THIS IS A SCAM- YOU BET>  Tonight, I bought something from ebay and it did not even give me the option of changing the form of payment to one of my credit cards.  I have changed my main form of payment to a credit card umpteen times but still it defaults to Bill Me Later if I am not careful.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL.  It makes me never want to go on ebay again and perhaps I will not.  Incredible rip-off. I refuse to pay the late fee. I have checked my email and my snail mail and I never ever got a bill. Plus, I thought that I had six months to pay if I did have a Bill Me Later charge.  There is no way I bought anything through them six months ago.  THE WHOLE THING IS ABSOLUTELY A SHELL GAME.

Login to Me Too

TexasTech90

This Bill Me Later issue is going to ruin PayPal....It won't stop charging me even with it not being an available choice....when I pay.

Help get me out!!!!!

Login to Me Too

janetr66
Contributor
Contributor

HEY! Who took the customer service contact number out of my post?? What kind of forum is this???

Login to Me Too

colindidit

I never had any of these problems...even with using almost all my credit limit and having used 789 dollars at one time...i paid it off within 3 months of the 6 month promotional period with the help of my girlfriend... i was never assessed any of these late fees or sent ridiculous bills...just paid what i charged and that was it.

Login to Me Too

robken44
New Community Member

I also think PayPal went far off track with Bill Me Later! It sounded good at first but is really useless! Too many pitfalls! All discused here. I took Amanda's advice and called the company BML; not Paypal. I cancelled the service as of 06-13-11. Let's see what happens next!

Login to Me Too

imispgh
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is that the payment screens now default to Bill Me Later. So I goofed that and now I owe them $600 and I can't use my on line card. I have to give them my bank account number or send a check which gives them a bank account number or sign up for Bill Me Later so I can get my accouint number to send a money order. I have been a PAypal customer for a long time. This is wrong.

Login to Me Too

PeterVT
Contributor
Contributor

The follow-up to my previous post on page 2 .... the letter arrived, dated June 8th, confirming that I had closed my account, and informing me that I will continue to receive monthly statements until my account is paid in full. I'm absolutely certain that there are no charges against my account - all payments that I've made can be traced - but today (June 20th) I've received 2 emails from BML. The first is the unwanted "update" (i.e. spam) that they circulate far too often, even though my mailing preferences were apparently "changed" when I closed my account. The second tells me that my statement is ready for review; all I have to do is to log into my PayPal account. Well, thinking it might be wise to check for spurious charges, based on what I've read here, I logged in, but there's NO WAY TO ACCESS my (closed) BML account. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF THEY"VE ADDED ANY CHARGES? The fact that they've prepared a statement for a closed account does not bode well. But I take the view that, if they do not make my account (closed or otherwise) available to me, I cannot be held responsible for it.

For those who have asked for the phone number to call to close an account, I quote from Amanda's previous post:

"866-528-3733 between 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM Eastern time, 7 days a week". The automated menu requires you to enter your 16-digit account number. Never having received this, I remained silent. If you have the patience to hang on long enough, you eventually get the option of speaking to a real live person (unless they've changed it!) The representative I spoke to did at least accede to my request to close the account. GOOD LUCK!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.