transaction cancelled but money still taken from my bank :( Help!

shank_1uk
Contributor
Contributor
I sent a personal payment of £80.00 to a family friend on PayPal. My PayPal balance was nil so I new the.money would come out from my bank account. Within a couple of house my friend said that she hadn't received anything from PayPal so I asked for her email address again, which she sent and was different to the first address I had sent the payment to. (She had missed a letter out of the first email address) Realising this I cancelled the payment straight away. I had a confirmation email saying it had been cancelled.I then sent the £80.00 again to the correct address and it was recieved. The problem is I have checked my bank account today and I have had the money £80.00 taken out twice. Once for the payment that had been cancelled and once for the payment that had gone though correctly. If the transaction was cancelled Why has it come out of my bank and how do I get it back? Because PayPal has taken it out against my wishes I have now been charged by the bank because the funds for both amounts were not in there because I Cancelled the one, so just assumed as most people would that if its cancelled its Stopped from leaving the bank. I'm not happy at all. And can't find anything on here to help me with what's going to happen or what to do about it
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi shank_1uk, 

When you send a payment using your bank account an electronic request is sent to your bank for the funds. If a payment is cancelled on PayPal, it cancels the funds going to the other account or the incorrect email address that the payment was sent to however it does not cancel the request that is sent to your bank for the funds. Rest assured that once the funds clear from your bank account and reach PayPal they will be returned to your PayPal balance. You can then withdraw these funds from your PayPal balance back to your bank account. 

I hope this helps explain and any other questions please post

Paula 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi shank_1uk, 

When you send a payment using your bank account an electronic request is sent to your bank for the funds. If a payment is cancelled on PayPal, it cancels the funds going to the other account or the incorrect email address that the payment was sent to however it does not cancel the request that is sent to your bank for the funds. Rest assured that once the funds clear from your bank account and reach PayPal they will be returned to your PayPal balance. You can then withdraw these funds from your PayPal balance back to your bank account. 

I hope this helps explain and any other questions please post

Paula 

Login to Me Too

shank_1uk
Contributor
Contributor
Thank u for your help Paula. I had a reply to a message I sent to paypal saying the same thing so panic mode has warn off now lol I still think that the PayPal site should have this explained on here somewhere as I'm sure most ppl, myself included couldn't find anything at all explaining all that... I found out the hard way, by being charged by bank. If I had seen something saying it would still go out the bank ( so the amount goes out twice) I could have made sure i had enough money in there to cover Both payments. I no for next time now.... Send a cheque instead 😉 lol
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi shank_1uk, 

I am glad I was able to help and advise you for future payment Smiley Happy

I will also pass your feedback on in relation to there being no information on this on our website.

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

shank_1uk
Contributor
Contributor
I have had the money back now but it took over a week for PayPal to put it back into my PayPal account and then four days for it to be transfered back to my bank account. It was very very annoying and yes I do blame the seller for sending a typo in the email address but at the end of he day as far as I'm concerned if a PayPalvtransaction is cancelled within a few hours of it being sent then that's what should happen, it should be cancelled, not still have he money taken from the bank. And the money that is returned to you is Not returned to the source of where it came from, ie the bank, its returned to your PayPal account and then has to be transfered back to your bank by yourself, which all together can take up to two weeks befor even getting the money back in your bank account. There is nothing on the PayPal site explaining any of this process and when a PayPal staff member messaged me about this matter they did agree that it was an unfair process that is not explained clearly on the website and they have had a number of complaints so are looking into changing the process. So who's to blame again other than the person who gave the incorrect email details.... Oh umm oh yeah that woyld be the people who took the money from my bank and got me charges even thouh i cancelled the transaction... That would be PATPAL!
Login to Me Too

TerryO
New Community Member

Hi, I've just had the same experience. I sent a Paypal payment to cover an Ebay purchase for just under £80. For some reason the payment did not process correctly and was held. I was avised to cancel and resend. I did this and the same thing happened again. I was then informed by the Ebay seller that his email address logged with Paypal had a typing error. I cancelled the second payment and finally managed to send the payment to the corrected email address on the third attempt.

Today however, I received a bank statement showing three Paypal withdraws for this transaction. This has placed that particular bank account in the red because of Paypal. I only had enough in there to cover one payment. Paypal tell me the cancelled payments will be credited to my Paypal balance tomorrow and I will then have to withdraw them from Paypal to get the money back into my bank account. Unfortunately I am likely to be charged by the bank for being overdrawn for the seven day Paypal had the cancelled payments in their possession! I shall think twice before cancelling and resending next time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Paypal is not responsible its not their fault that your seller put the wrong email addy on his auction.  Smiley Surprised

When you pay for an item paypal starts the process of transfering your payment to paypal > when that is cancelled the payment can't do a u-turn > it has to process through to them and then they return it to your payment source or paypal account.

Personally if a seller has put the wrong email addy on their auction and i have to cancel a payment i refuse to pay again till they have invoiced me via send money > goods and the payment has returned to my funding source to re-pay. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shank_1uk
Contributor
Contributor
kernowlass why have you even replied to this post anyway? You can see that i replied saying the problem had been solved so whyy reply after that with what I would have said is more of an insulting message rather than advice. For a volunteer advisor I would have said the advice from the normal member was more helpful. Thank you for you nib helpful slightly insulting advice (if that's what you want to call it) its not been very helpful and I would be happy not to have anymore from yourself. The problem was solved ages ago and I had better advice from real PayPal members and real PayPal staff. Thanks.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I was replying to terryO post not yours. Hence my post was directly under his question.

He or she asked a query and i answered and my answer was perfectly polite.

Then you decided to come back again when i was not even responding to you as you rightly said you were sorted.

So that begs the question YOU just asked why did you bother to respond to MY answer to TERRYO's post????

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shank_1uk
Contributor
Contributor
I have had the money back now but it took over a week for PayPal to put it back into my PayPal account and then four days for it to be transfered back to my bank account. It was very very annoying and yes I do blame the seller for sending a typo in the email address but at the end of he day as far as I'm concerned if a PayPal transaction is cancelled within a few hours of it being sent then that's what should happen, it should be cancelled, not still have he money taken from the bank. And the money that is returned to you is Not returned to the source of where it came from, ie the bank, its returned to your PayPal account and then has to be transfered back to your bank by yourself, which all together can take up to two weeks befor even getting the money back in your bank account. There is nothing on the PayPal site explaining any of this process and when a PayPal staff member messaged me about this matter they did agree that it was an unfair process that is not explained clearly on the website and they have had a number of complaints so are looking into changing the process. So who's to blame again other than the person who gave the incorrect email details.... Oh umm oh yeah that woyld be the people who took the money from my bank and got me charges even thouh i cancelled the transaction... That would be PATPAL!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.