Someone using my email address?

ZezinhoJFS
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using my msn account for over 4 years now and i haven't signed up to Paypal at all. just yesterday i received an e-mail saying please confirm your email address from the international services Paypal e-mail . For starters, i live in the UK so i would use Paypal.co.uk if any !! became worried as i don't know what they can do with only my e-mail address? so i changed the password and i have the person who is using my account and their address if you want to take further action as using someone elses email address is a criminal offence !!! if no action is taken i am willing to take this further as it is an invasion of my own privacy !!!!!

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there ZezinhoJFS,

You will need to report this to our fraud team.

I would suggest emailing PayPal directly or calling on 087 07 307 191 to report the use of your email address on another PayPal account. 

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

ZezinhoJFS
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Siobhán for getting back to me. i will try e-mailing first and if i get no reply by monday i will ring Paypal. 

ZezinhoJFS

Login to Me Too

zylow
New Community Member

just want to let you...

the same thing happend right now to me (this account)

this is my spam email adress and somebody in china tried to creat an account with that..

Login to Me Too

JoeysPlimsoles
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I called this number to report the same but was told they can't help because it's PayPal International so "just reply to the verification email that was sent to you and explain your email address is being used by someone else" I thanked the rep and hung up, clicked reply on the message and then saw on the bottom of the email "please do not reply this email the inbox is not monitored"!

Any ideas?

thanks

Login to Me Too

gravitysmacked
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me and 2 family members on my domain.

I contacted the PayPal spoof team by email who have come back with a quite frankly useless response.

All they said is that yes the email did originate from PayPal and go to my settings to disable notifications.

The fact it was from China using my email address did not seem to cause them concern even though I stressed this in my original email to them.

We've only had the click to activate account emails and no 'your account has been activated' which I guess is a good sign.

I've changed all the email  passwords on my domain for security purposes.

Is the PayPal fraud email different from the Spoof one?

Login to Me Too

bkozik
Contributor
Contributor

Someone in Poland is using one of my email addresses with a bogus phone number and PayPal seems to think its perfectly cool.  I use two main emails.  Someone used one of them 5 years ago (I have been trying on and off for 5 years...) to get ownership of my own email again on Paypal.  But, has anyone had success getting them to fix this?

Login to Me Too

richard200448

Someone has set up a Paypal account using me email address and Paypal aren't interested.

I have two email addresses, the one that is linked to my Paypal account and a Gmail address, which I have had for about 12 years and has never been linked to a Paypal account.

During the last week I have received several Paypal emails addressed to my Gmail email address. At first I thought these were just spoof emails and forwarded them to spoof@paypal.com. However, having phoned Paypal customer services about this, I have been advised that someone else has set up a Paypal account using my Gmail address. Also, I tried logging on with Paypal using my Gmail address. When I click on "having trouble logging in", someone else's phone number appears for the purpose of verifying the account. Clearly someone has set up a Paypal account using my email address.

The advice I was given by Paypal was to contact Google, but as I am only receiving someone else's Paypal emails and not other emails, I do not beleive that this is a Google. In any event, its impossible to phone Google because you can't get past the automated answering system.

I am very concerned that someone else has set up a Paypal account using my Gmail email address. I believe that Paypal should contact the other person to inform them and rectify the situation, but have been told that they won't because the other person's account is otherwise legitimate. Even though I've made Paypal aware of the problem and obvious security issue, they aren't interested!

Login to Me Too

SammyWales

I had something similar, i went to register my email address and it was already registered. i changed password to get on (thinking i could have done it and forgot) to find i was registerd as Samuel Moore and an addresses not mine. Have changed my password but cant do the name, is it still safe?
Waiting for a reponse now from Paypal
Any ideas? 
xx

Login to Me Too

scarybiscuits
Contributor
Contributor

I didnt know using someone else's email address was a criminal offence because I told Strathclyde Police this TWICE at Main HQ Police Stations and they flat out denied that Impersonation is a crimianl offence (which is complete bull*) but I also told them that I seemed to have at least one if not several people aggressing me by abusing every email address I create. They dont seem to want to do anything except stuff their faces with Greggs donuts these days...hence 3500+ crime gangs "running Scotland". Anyway, good to know that it's a criminal offence because now I have a better case against anyone found to have abused my address. It feels wierd though cos my own sister-in-law wentr red in the face when I comented in a clear loud manner that someone has recently hacked into my Paypal account. My brother just installed a new PC for my Dad and I discovered it is networked to their house where there is an unsecured Internet portal!? What's he doing.. then when I came to the Paypal site to log in - I found I was already logged in and thats impossible; Id only just gone onto this new PC and Paypal logs you out if you so much as pause to scratch your ar$e.. Not looking good for sister-in-laws future I feel....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.