Private party buying transaction not on ebay.

ratatooie
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I would like to buy a mobile phone from someone who also lives in the UK. The item is on ebay but the seller states that they will end the auction early and send the phone to me if I pay directly through paypal. It would be for about £500 so it is quite a substantial amount. They have very good feedback on ebay.

Would I be protected?
What recourse would I have if I send the money and I recieve nothing?
What should I do?

Thank you in afvance for your answers.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I am always very dubious about sellers offering to end auctions early.

Paypal if you pay using the "goods" option (if you are not paying via ebay),  will protect you for non receipt of item or for item received but not as described BUT buyer protection is not a "cover-all" and there are still situations where you could lose out.

You need to read up on buyer protection but the main thing is "when in doubt don't buy"......I would not risk that amount of money buying from a stranger that is not a "business" so you are not covered with DSR regs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ratatooie
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you very much for getting back to me.

I have had a good read through the buyer protection, and the item falls within what would be protected (i.e. it is not intangible/illegal etc etc). My main concern was more that it was a private individual rather than a business that I was buying from.

If I was to go ahead with it, I would most definitely put it within the descriptions of goods etc. Would there be a record of exactly what it was?

I am cautious.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

OK this is a scenario for you.

You buy the phone and an empty box arrives > you file on ebay or paypal and it will be up to you to prove this is so and you may or may not get a refund....nothing is guaranteed.

You receive the item and 45 days later it stops working.....too late to file a dispute and as the seller is not a business there is nothing you can do to get a refund....your only hope is if you funded that paypal payment with a credit card and they chargeback for you.

Personally for £500 i would want to see the item first but of course the decision is absolutely yours....I am just playing devils advocate and i would hate to say yes all will be fine and you lose that amount of money. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.