MOVING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY

morriganne1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, What can't we change the living country ? or how to ? I moved in another country, should i close my account or can i change my details ? Thanks a lot for your help

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi morriganne1,

It is not possible for a PayPal account holder to change the country that the account is active in. If a customer opens a PayPal account in the UK, it is not possible for them to change the country where the account is active. It is also not possible for you to register any financial information that is active in another country to your UK PayPal account.

Your best option if you are currently living outside the UK would be to open a new PayPal account in the country that you are living in.

If you are planning to be back in the UK on a regular basis, you may wish to keep your UK PayPal account open so that you can send payments when you are in the UK as well as having your active account that you are going to open in the country that you are living in at the moment.

The only thing that you should do before opening your new account is ensure that you have either a Personal and a Premier or Business account. PayPal account holders are permitted to have one Personal PayPal account and a Premier or Business account. You should check what account type you currently hvae before opening your new account in the country that you are living in.

I hope this information is useful,

David

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi morriganne1,

It is not possible for a PayPal account holder to change the country that the account is active in. If a customer opens a PayPal account in the UK, it is not possible for them to change the country where the account is active. It is also not possible for you to register any financial information that is active in another country to your UK PayPal account.

Your best option if you are currently living outside the UK would be to open a new PayPal account in the country that you are living in.

If you are planning to be back in the UK on a regular basis, you may wish to keep your UK PayPal account open so that you can send payments when you are in the UK as well as having your active account that you are going to open in the country that you are living in at the moment.

The only thing that you should do before opening your new account is ensure that you have either a Personal and a Premier or Business account. PayPal account holders are permitted to have one Personal PayPal account and a Premier or Business account. You should check what account type you currently hvae before opening your new account in the country that you are living in.

I hope this information is useful,

David

Login to Me Too

morriganne1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Thanks a lot for this clear answer and have a very good day.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi gabiyiy.

Welcome to the PayPal community.

As your question is very account specific, I would advise you to contact our customer care department who can help you further You can do this by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You can also contact us via our Facebook Page or Twitter @askPayPal.

Donna

Login to Me Too

sjfishy
Contributor
Contributor

David,

I read with interest your helpful message about moving to another country.

Unfortunately, I have only one email address: the login for paypal uses the email address to identify the user. Therefore when trying to set up  a new account in a new country, using the same email address, I am invited to log in using the password associated with that email address and cannot set up a new account.

It would seem that I will need to either

1. Get another email address

2. Close my current UK paypal account before opening a new account in New Zealand.

Unless you can suggest a third way...

Steve

Login to Me Too

kharmas
New Community Member

Exact same problem here.

Would close account and open a new one (moved from UK to Spain), but since I closed my UK bank account and already left the country, means I will lose the credit on my Paypal UK account.

Very upset at Paypal. Cannot believe they aren't able to deal with this sort of issues!!!

(and more so because they'll either keep the money or force me to hurry and buy anything to empty my account)

Man Mad

😞

Login to Me Too

sjfishy
Contributor
Contributor

Here here!

We're in a global market place and economy and never before has the population been able to move around the world so freely. Surely it is about time Paypal woke up to this and enabled the addition of foreign accounts to any one Paypal account, even if it meant tighter security (which in my opinion is quite lax already).

Afterall, all those sellers credit paypal with a fee and also some profit margin on an exchange rate. The least Paypal can do I feel is expand the service provision accordingly.

Waht is more, is that I can even register a change in my address with my UK bank to a foreign address. Not so, Paypal without opening another account with a different email address.

I would like comment from a Paypal representative who has some authority, to consider this posting and reply.

Slightly off message here, is that Paypal's spell check on this forum DOES NOT even recognise "Paypal"! Ironically it wants to replace it with the rather too reverent "Papal" !

Login to Me Too

steasel
New Community Member

I agree. Has PayPal even had the decency to reply to you over the last 6 weeks fishy?

Login to Me Too

doobie42

1. When I click on my profile I do not get the options indicated on the short video, only changing address, payment details etc.

2, Also, as I have already moved to Cyprus understand I need close my account; do I then lose my credit rating as a seller and buyer?

3, In what order do I shut or open a new account, and can I use the same profile, id and password?

4. I understand I still have credit available, can this be transferred onto my new account?

Many thanks

David

Login to Me Too

kipperwacker
New Community Member

I have the same problem - plus I have no plans to go back to the UK and simply want to change my address to reflect my new whereabouts in France.  Also, how can my husband set up a sterling PayPal a/c in France?  His sterling bank account is registered to our french address so we can't put a UK address on it, but setting up in France only seems to give one the option of a french euro a/c.......

Hope you can help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.