Changing your primary email address

Dove147
New Community Member
I have added a new email address to my account and confirmed it. I can't however make this new address the primary email. When I've selected the box to make the new email a primary, I get a message stating that the email I've added is already added and if I try to edit / delete the primary I can't do this either. I've tried a number of times / refreshing the page / re-adding the new email address etc nothing seems to work the primary email remains the same. How do you change the primary email?
Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

Aik1

Noted the process by R SS;could not see the "edit" on home page? So what i the process to delete/amend primary email address?

Login to Me Too

alan_kathmar
Contributor
Contributor

You said: "Create new email address in the prescribed way and validate it."

But that isn't going to work!  To create a new email address, you have to use your old one, and if that address is dead - so any email they send you, you won't receive - then you are locked out. I know - that is happening to me.

When it comes to basic admin. like this, PayPal is a total and complete disaster! There is no solution to this PayPal problem. And the robot on their automated 'phone line is no good, either - because it is a 'one-way' dialogue!

Hopeless; simply hopeless.

Login to Me Too

sonofspectrum
New Community Member

Worked for me also thanks.  Whist looking for a solution I see that people have been having this problem for years. I nearly closed my account I became so frustred, come on paypal you can do better than this.

Login to Me Too

ljw61
Contributor
Contributor

Im really p*** off with Paypal for not responding to any of the 3 emails I sent them asking for help/advice.. The customer service is diabolical!!

Login to Me Too

krypticninja
New Community Member

Had the exact same problem. The solution above also worked perfectly.

Glad to see Paypal is still a consistently garbage service. I will continue to not use them and only leave a dead account open for recieving payments.

Login to Me Too

countryman69
Contributor
Contributor

I have long come to the conclusion that some companies customer service works best via speaking to them by phone, by chat or by email.  PayPal is by phone.  It is pointless emailing them.

Login to Me Too

cesarabaez

how do i change my primary email, settings acoount says I cant do it

Login to Me Too

chigley1165
New Community Member

I followed the old posts about deleting your old primary email but paypal must have made changes as the steps that had worked for others previously no longer worked.  I found (by chance) that you need to go to Notifications and click on the email address.  Now you will get the option to change the primary to the new email that you have already entered in the account settings.  Once you have updated the email in notifications you can go back to account and then delete it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.