Changing your primary email address

Dove147
New Community Member
I have added a new email address to my account and confirmed it. I can't however make this new address the primary email. When I've selected the box to make the new email a primary, I get a message stating that the email I've added is already added and if I try to edit / delete the primary I can't do this either. I've tried a number of times / refreshing the page / re-adding the new email address etc nothing seems to work the primary email remains the same. How do you change the primary email?
Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

ljw61
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me!

My old email address will no longer  exist after this weekend as Ive switched ISP's,so I'll no longer be able  recieve mail from Paypal!

Waiting for a response on this from Paypal!!

Login to Me Too

Fantail75
New Community Member

Same problem. So fed up. Me and my dad share a paypal account because his old one is blocked and I can't make a new one because this ones uses my email address but with his details. I want to change the primary email address to his email address so he can use this account and I can make my own. It won't let me though. So annoyed as we've been trying to separate our paypal accounts for 3 years. 

Login to Me Too

R_ss
Contributor
Contributor

This looks like the latest post for this problem. Had the same thing all weekend and struggled to find anything useful, anywhere. PayPal's support is useless. Here's the solution:

Create new email address in the prescribed way and validate it.

I logged back in with the new address as uid, don't know if that's necessary, clicked on 'edit', next to the account name at the top of the home page, as though editing my user name, which takes you to a warning about not being able to change user name. CANCEL out of this to be taken to a page listing of your profile entries. Select the email entry and make your change. Voila! Enjoy.

Login to Me Too

ljw61
Contributor
Contributor

R_ss , that worked!!

At last!

Thankyou!

Login to Me Too

padrino
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks R_ss, worked for me too!!

Awesome!

Login to Me Too

pedalo
New Community Member

Isn't it great when someone comes up with a neat solution which works. I contacted PayPal support but don't expect an answer ever. R-ss is either intuitively clever at this stuff or spent a long time finding the answer to what should have been a simple change. Anyway, thanks.

Login to Me Too

dar2211
Contributor
Contributor
Rss instructions above worked Shame the FAQs can't give this info.
Login to Me Too

rogerh
New Community Member

Thanks for this.

Didn't bother to log out but followed the rest and managed to change my primary email at last.

Hurrah

Now all I need to remember is what the **bleep** I was going to sell on ebay!

Retired

Roger

Login to Me Too

mikehj
New Community Member
Worked for me too. Thanks R_ss. Why can't Paypal have the same options from both the Edit option and from the cogwheel?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.