Changing your primary email address

Dove147
New Community Member
I have added a new email address to my account and confirmed it. I can't however make this new address the primary email. When I've selected the box to make the new email a primary, I get a message stating that the email I've added is already added and if I try to edit / delete the primary I can't do this either. I've tried a number of times / refreshing the page / re-adding the new email address etc nothing seems to work the primary email remains the same. How do you change the primary email?
Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

countryman69
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant solution, thanks. To anyone attempting to do this just make sure you have access to one of the bank account number or credit card number when you try to do this as you will be asked for it as confirmation.

Login to Me Too

Stina880
New Community Member

So helpful!  I was really frustrated by this, but your suggestion did the trick!!!

Login to Me Too

sausagepancake
New Community Member

Thank you so much for the tip, R_ss!! So glad I came across this post and managed to change my primary email address as I have just finished uni and they are closing my uni email account down! Phew 🙂

Login to Me Too

jipnet
New Community Member

That is brilliant. Well done, whether it was instinctual or by hit or miss. (Dumb interface on PayPal's part without good explanations)

@R_ss wrote:

This looks like the latest post for this problem. Had the same thing all weekend and struggled to find anything useful, anywhere. PayPal's support is useless. Here's the solution:

Create new email address in the prescribed way and validate it.

I logged back in with the new address as uid, don't know if that's necessary, clicked on 'edit', next to the account name at the top of the home page, as though editing my user name, which takes you to a warning about not being able to change user name. CANCEL out of this to be taken to a page listing of your profile entries. Select the email entry and make your change. Voila! Enjoy.

Login to Me Too

Well for the life of me I can't find the bit where it says  clicked on 'edit', next to the account name at the top of the home page, 

HELP

Login to Me Too

brooster54

Your fix worked like a charm!  Thank you!!! Smiley Happy

I sent three emails to PayPal requesting help.  NONE were responded to.

Questions to PayPal: 

1)  Why offer support when you have no intention of providing same?

2)  Why not provide information for simple fixes such as this in your FAQ?

3)  Why do you not monitor the Community Board and jump in when you see common issues voiced by hundreds of clients?

I suspect that the real reason is that there is "no-one at home"  That PayPal (aka HAL) is just a computer system somewhere, set up to remove outrageous amounts of money for each transaction, rate exchange, etc.  Anything requiring some level of human interaction goes to "ground".  Literally!

Login to Me Too

reaquino
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your help. it worked for me too 🙂

Login to Me Too

IDEALPROTEIN
Contributor
Contributor

Your solution worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

Login to Me Too

Juxalux
Contributor
Contributor

R_ss

thanks!

Login to Me Too

Mike1844
New Community Member

I have tried to change my primary address as indicated, but don't seem to have the 'edit' next to my account. I do have 'Update' user name and if I go there and then cancel, I just get back to where I started. has something changed or am I thick?

I have the same problem as the OP in that my present email provider is ceasing. I can sign in using my newly registered email (uid?) but not make this the primary (only) one. seems PayPal still haven't got their act together.

Mike1844

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.