Why is the rewards program so lame?

Mongo
Contributor
Contributor

I can't believe how alme the rewards seem from month to month. This month I can be entered into a sweepstakes...

ooooh-ahhhh. The sweeps is only good if I shop at specific stores. 

The most impressive thing I have gotten from the rewards is a hat. I like to think of it as a $10k hat.

It makes it nicer.  At least the program and hat are free.

Did I mention the hat? It's very nice.  

I do like the expedited dispute system, I got my last dispute resolved in a very short time. Kudos.

Also I do like the hat, and if that seems sarcastic it wasn't supposed to be, but the hat is the only reward  that was worth reading the Paypal advantage rewards page. Come on - learn how to grease the wheel properly. 

I may have missed some other good stuff. If i did please tell me about it. 

Did I mention I don't wear hats? (unless it's sub-zero outside).

Sincerely Mongo

Login to Me Too
45 REPLIES 45

vintagevariance
New Community Member

I received a ipod shuffle. Not even sure what I did to deserve it.

Login to Me Too

_LeslieL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your post! You received an iPod shuffle for the PayPal Advantage March Monthly Reward - that month's reward was for members who used eBay mobile. Are you a frequent user of eBay mobile or did you just try it out for that month?

Login to Me Too

vintagevariance
New Community Member

I feel lucky to have paypal as an option and don't even feel rewards an option.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyCyclist
Contributor
Contributor

Why all the moaning and groaning? 

Sure, I've gotten better offers elsewhere.  Early this year, I got the newest Bose Noise Cancelling headphones for free.  I signed up for an airline credit card, purchased airline tickets on that airline using that credit card, and a few weeks later I had my headphones.  But there was undoubtedly an agreement between Bose, the credit card company, and the airline, all with their own product to promote.  It didn't cost me a penny because I was going to purchase airline tickets anyway, and by going through the credit card's travel website I found lower prices (on that particular airline, not suprisingly) than anywhere else.  Things don't come together like that very often.

Maybe PayPal Advantage will offer "better" rewards in the future.  Maybe not.  But in the meantime, I'm not going to complain about a free hat (it's a nice hat), or an iPod shuffle (missed that one - I have a desktop computer only).  If a future reward suits me, I'll be happy to take advantage (hmmm ... "PayPal Advantage") of it.

If you don't like what the PayPal Advantage program offers, feel free to ignore it.

Login to Me Too

bigevil
Contributor
Contributor

my favorite reward thusfar was the Starbucks $5 bonus for refilling your card using PayPal. I don't know why I liked it so much except that it felt like a real cash reward, I even got a iPod shuffle for doing the eBay mobile promotion but actually felt more excited about the cash bonus promotion. I think doing things that benefit us in a fiscal way (especially because paypal is not a social/lifestyle thing at present and is rather our payment processor) would arouse more interest. Show people how they can save true hard cash, and or earn real money in their accounts via bonuses or promotions and the program will achieve a tangable value to even the most cynic critics. 

It's not that many members don't like their hats and soon to posses water bottles but those do feel a hint marketingish, like a credit card free towel at the airport as opposed to "members, use this onetime coupon code for 20% off at X vendor" or "enjoy free shipping all month if you use paypal at all of these site..."

Login to Me Too

BlinkyBlinkyUSA
Contributor
Contributor

The PalPal Rewards program is so LAME and Worthless that it does not merit participation, and my time,  to receive figuratively NOTHING !

PayPal's message is that I have 6,000 Points accumulated.  Big deal!      Where are all the PayPal opportunities to use the 'points' and a few BASIC Instructions ? !

I could easily accumulate 100,000+ PayPal points, but they would be 'worthles.'

The CHASE, AMEX, and CITCORP 'awards points' programs are so very superior !

Very disappointed iin PayPal's mismanagement of a potential beneficial benefit program.

C. Wilson

Login to Me Too

_LeslieL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BlinkyBlinkyUSA -

What message did you get about the 6,000 points? In PayPal Advantage, you don't accumulate points, but every dollar you spend does count toward your requalification, and that threshold is $5,000. I'm not sure where you're getting the message about points, but feel free to email that to advantage at paypal.com and we can investigate for you.

I'll follow up with you in a personal message on some of your other concerns.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Zaphed
Contributor
Contributor

BlinkyBlilnkyUSA,

I am guessing you are referring to the PayPal MasterCard points.  To your point (pardon the pun) I think there should be a closer tie between the PayPal MasterCard and the Advantage program, but there is not.  You could spend $100,000 a month (assuming your credit limit would allow it) on your PayPal MasterCard and if enough of those purchases were not PayPal purchases you would not qualify for the PayPal plus program.

You do, however, accumulate "points" with your PayPal MasterCard purchases, and it is easy enough to cash those in.  Just click on the link there near where your points are displayed and it will take you to a site where you have some options.  If you have 100,000 points you can get quite a bit of stuff, gift cards, etc.

Of course, the point program has some negatives - first the points expire if not used within a certain number of months, and there appears to be no good way to see when partcular points will expire (anyone on PaylPal support care to comment on this issue?).  Also the amount you spend vs. points you earn vs. what you can buy with them is a value you'll have to consider yourself.  Does it beat the 5% cashback intro some cards give?  No way. Is it better than Discover 1% cashback?  That's debateable.  PayPal used to offer a much better cash back program, but that's gone now and the one tney have is not a very good use of your points (in my opinion).  Another thing to watch is that often times it seems like you can almost always do better for yourself getting Amazon (or ebay) gift cards rarther than the actual item through the rewards program.  Count the points out and you'll see what I mean.

Good Luck,

Zaphed

Login to Me Too

minnichsmetals
Contributor
Contributor

BlinkyBlinkyUSA wrote:

"The PalPal Rewards program is so LAME and Worthless that it does not merit participation, and my time".....

I hate to be a buzz kill here....  But why are YOU wasting YOUR time reading through the discussion board, and posting a reply, if it's so worthless, that is doesnt merit your time or participation?????   I am SO confused right now!?

Login to Me Too

IGT_Hobbies

I would be happy with Advantage status means no rolling reserves, thats all I want. I have never had a chargeback or a dispute that wasn't in my favor. Please reward me!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.