Paypal Seller Protection

pmcintosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have sold a bicycle on Ebay.

The buyer has opted to pay via paypal and I have been charged for "Seller Protection"

Is there any way top opt out of seller protection as I didn't request it ?

Best Regards

Peter

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

pmcintosh
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, I will ask them to pay "cash on collection" and issue a refund.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmcintosh

Seller protection is free, every seller pays a fee to be able to receive payments from buyers via paypal.

Click on FEES bottom of any paypal page and you can see the charges.

BUT i hope you are not accepting paypal for an item that is to be collected??

If you are then you have no seller protection anyway for items that are collected.

So if that is the case see if you can ask the buyer if you can refund them and then pay cash on collection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

pmcintosh
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, I will ask them to pay "cash on collection" and issue a refund.
Login to Me Too

HugePerry
Contributor
Contributor

Watch out because PayPal almost ALWAYS caves to your buyer's credit card company. All they have to do is tell their credit card company they didn't receive the item or they didn't authorize it and their credit card company complains to PayPal and you're out all the money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HugePerry

The OP is paying cash on collection so paypal is not involved.

And if a buyer files a chargeback directly via their credit card company then paypal has nothing to do with it. The card company makes any decision and by law paypal have to take the money from the seller if the card company says they have to.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

UnhappySeller2
Contributor
Contributor

..which means PayPal is useless for sellers and offers no seller protection worthy of the name....as increasing numbers of sellers are discovering to their cost.   Sooner or later, PayPal will find plenty buyers but no sellers, as a consequence.  Passing this buck onto credit card companies is lame...try buying something from a high street store, damaging it 179 days later, trying to dump it back at the store and telling your credit card company the store damaged it, broke it, etc.....and see how far that gets you.  PayPal, allows such buyers scams by their terms and conditions, and unscrupulous buyers are increasingly aware of this loophole that ends up costing sellers all their money. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@UnhappySeller2

Actually you could do a chargeback via your credit card company and they rarely tell you to return damaged items anyway.

And you have coverage for over 180 days as a lot tend to offer you protection from the date you 'noticed a problem' and not the date you bought the item.

Thats 1 reason why i fund my paypal purchases via a credit card, to get that extra layer of protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.