HELP, please! Expired credit card apparently 'disabled' and now I can't update it

Glencky
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, hopefully I've posted this in the right place - I'm a newbie to this forum and I have tried to read the guidelines etc before posting.

I'm posting in absolute desperation. I've already wasted several hours trying to sort this out. The issue is very simple. I have one credit card linked to my PayPal account. I've been using it successfully and with no issues for years (primarily for eBay purchases and sales, but not exclusively). The card expired on 31st March. No problem - the card company sent me a new one. I have gone to all the various sites on which my details are saved and have updated it with no issues. Except PayPal!  I can't update PayPal and I just don't know what to do any more. I'm meeting a seemingly impenetrable wall of blah from the company!

PayPal sent me an email whilst i was on holiday at the end of March to tell me my card was about to expire and if I didn't update it, they'd remove it from my account. By the time I got back from holiday and logged on to update it, it had been removed. No problem, I used the 'add a card' function to add it back in again.

However, on adding the details, I received the message, "This card has been disabled for entry into the PayPal system. Please add a different card. You may also contact us using this form."

Frustrating. I realised it was probably related to the fact that the new card has exactly the same number, just a different expiry date and a new 3 digit security code. So I followed the link and filled in the web form, explaining the issue. I had to fill in the last 4 digits of the relevant card in order to complete the web form. This is where it started going REALLY wrong. Of course, the flippin' form wouldn' submit with the relevant last 4 digits on it (it gave me an error message)  presumably becuase the blimmin' card is disabled!! so I had to use a different option and picked 'account limited' and sent the same message. I got an automated reply saying I would need to call them.

I just got off the phone from 'customer services'. They were atrocisious. I started out very calmly explaining the issue but got less calm! They told me that the only option I have is to add a different card. it's patently ridiculous for PayPal to try and force me to use a different credit card (which I do not have, by the way) simply to clear a blockage created by them. There is no security alert - the card is not compromised and I've been using it happiily since receiving it. The only issue is the flippin' expiry date which is now 3 years later than it once was! Can I mention that I typed nothing in wrongly whilst I was re-adding it. The ONLY issue is that PayPal is telling me it's disabled. There is no reason why it should be.

I escalated and got put through to a supervisor who maintained the same line - that there is nothing they can do about it.

I have found several other threads on this forum and on the US forum from people with the same issue. There seems to be some idea that if one emails card.problems AT paypal.com one can get it resolved. However, I am loath to do so as surely the right answer must be to go through PayPal customer services in the usual way?

The threads I have found are as follows.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Adding-and-updating-account-info/CREDIT-CARD-BLOCKED-PLEASE-HELP...

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-PayPal-account/Re-Register-a-previously-Expired-Credit-Card/t...

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Bank-accounts-and-credit-cards/Card-expired-new-card-has-same-nu...

I note that a moderator, David, from the UK forum has helpfully answered one of them quite recently. The issue though is 'contact customer services' is just not enough as they have been totally unhelpful. I think I need to know not only to contact them but also what to tell them to do for me. THey clearly don't know themselves.

I would be really, really grateful for any help from any members or moderators on this issue. I'm at my wits' end as there's something I really need to buy for my dad who is ill, and at the moment I can't because my PayPal account isn't working.

All help gratefully received!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal_david

Hi there Glenky,

Firstly, this is a common issue that affects customers if a new card hasn't been updated and the current card expires. It can be a very frustrating problem as you keep being advised when you try registering your card that the card has been disabled.

Our system automatically disables the card to be registered again once the information expires through the website. This can be reset however so that you can register the card again to your account. 

I can only imagine the frustration that this must be causing you as you are being advised to register a new card when you try contacting us. I will see if we can get an update sent in order so that everyone is aware that the information can be reset and hopefully, this will help you with being able to get the card registered again.

I realise that you may have done this already numerous times but could you please try contacting us directly again in order to see if we can get this resolved? Sometimes, updates are run in order to reset the cards automatically. It could be the case that this may be done in the future and this could also assist the card in being reset automatically so that you can register it again on your account.

David.

Login to Me Too

Glencky
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David, thanks for your reply and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I have been away again and hadn't checked for any responses since a day or so after I posted.

I'm so glad to hear you think this should be resolve-able. I have just logged on to my account again and attempted the same action (i.e. adding the new card that has the same card number as the old card to my account) - I did this just in case some kind of automated reset had happened since I last tried. However I get the same thing.

I again followed the link to 'use this form' provided with the error message and this time I noticed there is a 'make a complaint' option. So I have made a complaint, politely outlning the circumstances. My hope is that this goes through to the kind of department that may be mroe knowledgeable and therefore able to resolve my query. In the web form I have linked to this discussion.

If this doesn't work I will try calling again. With this in mind, I would be very grateful if you could tell me what exactly I should be asking the representative I speak to, to do? Is it just 'here are the circumstances, now I've been told to ask you to get the card reset." ? If they give me the same response, is there something I should tell them, e.g. "I am told if you refer this to X department or Y person they will know the correct course of action."

??

All help gratefully received - again!

Login to Me Too

apcs
New Community Member

I do not know why customer service deleted my credit card off my account and disabled it. All i wanted to do was to upgrade to a commercial account. Paypal, my card is not expired, please stop treating your customers like crap! whenever we want help all you can tell us is that you do not know. I call on EBAY to consider how paypal operates and maybe change paypal all together.

As customers, we pay per transaction, when we want a problem fix, then you paypal need to fix it and if you are incompetent, that is not helping us, we are business people. Please get my card back on my account and do so apap and remove the hold and stop blocking my card. you own employee delted the card, deal with him/her not me. They should know how to properly remove a card from the system as opposed to making it become disabled.

Login to Me Too

vera110387
Contributor
Contributor

Hello David.

I see that you can help solve some issues. And I'm glad.
My problem is I had a bank and a debit card liked to it that i was using fine in paypal. 2 years ego i close the account with the bank. So I added the new bank to paypal and a credit card that I linked to the bank. The first bank was easy to remove. But the debit card -which now is expired- Ican not remove. I click on it but doesn't open the window with options to remove or update. However the credit card I have on the account does not stay updated. I click edit, enter the security code, but after I refresh the page does not say "updated". And when I try to pay for something it is apearing the expired card and is not alowing me to pay or change card.
What is the problem? What should I do?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

keeenanj

@Glencky wrote:

First of all, hopefully I've posted this in the right place - I'm a newbie to this forum and I have tried to read the guidelines etc before posting.

I'm posting in absolute desperation. I've already wasted several hours trying to sort this out. The issue is very simple. I have one credit card linked to my PayPal account. I've been using it successfully and with no issues for years (primarily for eBay purchases and sales, but not exclusively). The card expired on 31st March. No problem - the card company sent me a new one. I have gone to all the various sites on which my details are saved and have updated it with no issues. Except PayPal!  I can't update PayPal and I just don't know what to do any more. I'm meeting a seemingly impenetrable wall of blah from the company!

PayPal sent me an email whilst i was on holiday at the end of March to tell me my card was about to expire and if I didn't update it, they'd remove it from my account. By the time I got back from holiday and logged on to update it, it had been removed. No problem, I used the 'add a card' function to add it back in again.

However, on adding the details, I received the message, "This card has been disabled for entry into the PayPal system. Please add a different card. You may also contact us using this form."

Frustrating. I realised it was probably related to the fact that the new card has exactly the same number, just a different expiry date and a new 3 digit security code. So I followed the link and filled in the web form, explaining the issue. I had to fill in the last 4 digits of the relevant card in order to complete the web form. This is where it started going REALLY wrong. Of course, the flippin' form wouldn' submit with the relevant last 4 digits on it (it gave me an error message)  presumably becuase the blimmin' card is disabled!! so I had to use a different option and picked 'account limited' and sent the same message. I got an automated reply saying I would need to call them.

I just got off the phone from 'customer services'. They were atrocisious. I started out very calmly explaining the issue but got less calm! They told me that the only option I have is to add a different card. it's patently ridiculous for PayPal to try and force me to use a different credit card (which I do not have, by the way) simply to clear a blockage created by them. There is no security alert - the card is not compromised and I've been using it happiily since receiving it. The only issue is the flippin' expiry date which is now 3 years later than it once was! Can I mention that I typed nothing in wrongly whilst I was re-adding it. The ONLY issue is that PayPal is telling me it's disabled. There is no reason why it should be.

I escalated and got put through to a supervisor who maintained the same line - that there is nothing they can do about it.

I have found several other threads on this forum and on the US forum from people with the same issue. There seems to be some idea that if one emails card.problems AT paypal.com one can get it resolved. However, I am loath to do so as surely the right answer must be to go through PayPal customer services in the usual way?

The threads I have found are as follows.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Adding-and-updating-account-info/CREDIT-CARD-BLOCKED-PLEASE-HELP...

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-PayPal-account/Re-Register-a-previously-Expired-Credit-Card/t...

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Bank-accounts-and-credit-cards/Card-expired-new-card-has-same-nu...

I note that a moderator, David, from the UK forum has helpfully answered one of them quite recently. The issue though is 'contact customer services' is just not enough as they have been totally unhelpful. I think I need to know not only to contact them but also what to tell them to do for me. THey clearly don't know themselves.

I would be really, really grateful for any help from any members or moderators on this issue. I'm at my wits' end as there's something I really need to buy for my dad who is ill, and at the moment I can't because my PayPal account isn't working.

All help gratefully received!

hi , read your mail. about card same thing with me , only difference my card had been hacked my bank informed me of someone trying to get money sent to weston union so they blocked the request and cancelled my card and sent me a new one. so i tried to cancel old card with paypal and got message can not cancel because of payment pending.which i can only think it might be when some one tryed to scam me out of money!!!!!!! so i have added my new card which has been accepted but like you can not cancel old card strange set up so do i just leave things, will try to buy useing new card and wait to see what happens hope you get your problem sorted good luck.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Keeenanj,

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you were having with your old card. If you have registered your new card to your account but you are unable to remove your old one, you should try contacting us and we can try to get the card removed from your account for you.

You can call or email us and we can get the card removed from your account so that it won't be active on the PayPal website anymore.

Let me know how it goes Smiley Happy.

David.

Login to Me Too

falko
New Community Member

THis is extremely frustratiing. I tried (and I think I was successful) in deleting my old cc. now, I am adding my new one and I keep getting this message "This card has been disabled for entry into the PayPal system"... and if I use the "form" it then asks for the last 4 numbers, once I put those in, the system will not accept it. 

The cc I want to add is a mainstream bank and works around the globe (mbna).... 

please advise, thanks

@PayPal_david wrote:

Hi there Keeenanj,

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you were having with your old card. If you have registered your new card to your account but you are unable to remove your old one, you should try contacting us and we can try to get the card removed from your account for you.

You can call or email us and we can get the card removed from your account so that it won't be active on the PayPal website anymore.

Let me know how it goes Smiley Happy.

David.

Login to Me Too

jonnyhippo
New Community Member

Ok, i have the same isse, expired card etc. The customer service lady on the phone said she could not reset my card and there was nothing i could do about it. I am a customer of well over ten years, have a business account and have transacted tens of thousands in that time. To be told, hard luck, you missed the boat by two days and now your card is disabled forever is simply ridiculous and does nothing to enhance Paypal's already dreadful reputation as a huge company that clearly has too much money to care about individual customers.

If i ring to do a formal complaint, i get the same girl who told me she was clueless about it and that 'yes, we do lose quite a few customers because of this'.

If anyone can help, please let me know because im considering cutting my ties with this tinpot company who have clearly no regard for the people that have given them their standing.

Login to Me Too

mikey456
New Community Member

Apprentley you have sent a £1 confirmation of card payment to confirm my card does belong to my account. You sent this on the 02/01/2013 and since i have checked my bank statements to see if it was sent and i can confirm it was indeed not and now i can not send money to my bank as this message keeps popping up and i am currently waiting for money to access pay pal to transfer as we speak can you please sort this out immediatley......

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.